User defined linetypes and colours

I've been asked to produce a user defined linetype with a continuous line as its base and with a letter "X" at specific intervals. That's ok, but the kick is that the line should be one colour and the "X" in a different colour.

I suggested creating a block for the "X" and using measure to place the blocks on the line, but that is unacceptable. There will be a lot of lines and these will be at some point deleted/replaced and the "X" blocks would still be there. It would be possible to place all the "X"s for one line in a group so they could be deleted as a group, but in a relatively small drawing there will be several hundred of these lines and in a large drawing perhaps a couple of thousand.

As far as I'm aware in a custom linetype all the elements are the same colour. Does anybody have any ideas on this one?

What if you create a linetype that is only "X"s, put that line on one layer, and put the continuous lines on another layer? That way you only have to delete two layers instead of one.

You could try making the X a shape file and give it a color, not "bylayer". I do not even know if that works, just a WAG.

You could try making the X a shape file and give it a color, not "bylayer". I do not even know if that works, just a WAG.

Good idea SLW, a long time ago shape files were used for linetypes, I'll dig out the old documentation and see what can be done. But when I remeber rightly defining the shape files was a pig of a job.

@ CyberAngel: I also suggested that, but it has to be a single linetype. I can change the linetype definition but I must retain the linetype name. It's also possible to define a multiline that will do the job perfectly, but I can't use multilines.

I don't think you can add a colour to a shape file - at least you couldn't when I tried a few years back. However, I wondered if you could embed an MTEXT letter into the linetype. You can add a colour sode then (maybe).

@Tyke, if you can't find your shape file information I still have an R12 customization manual here and can scan the relevant pages (but it will take time, our scanner isn't the most user friendly one available).

@Tyke, if you can't find your shape file information I still have an R12 customization manual here and can scan the relevant pages (but it will take time, our scanner isn't the most user friendly one available).

Thanks Dave, if you could do that it will save me having to turn the attic upside down. Do you still have my email address?

No dice here, I cannot get the shape/mtext to work and stay a separate color. I used the express tools, MKSHAPE and MKLTYPE.

I will get back to it as time allows.