Engineering Scales are out of wack!

SLW210 - you are correct in that the 1:20 and so forth are 1 unit to 20 unit scale, they do not translate into 1 unit (inch) equals 20 feet, this is where the multiplyer of 12 comes in so that it becomes 1 unit = 240 units, when talking about the use of scales it is 1" = 20' or 1" = 240". I am not civil, but I work on plans that are sometimes too large to use the Architectural scale that would mean anything, I believe this cut-off to be the 1/32" = 1', beyond that it is easier to read 1" = 40' and so on. With CAD, at least to me, scaling is more strict, just because it is easy to scale in a detail to "fit" does not mean you should! I often plot things to be reviewed at a scale to fit, such as plotting a 3" = 1' detail on a 8.5 x 11 sheet, if it doesn't fit I then make it, but never to be sent out as an official drawing. And I guess the assumption was made that the 1:20, 1:200 etc... were Engineering scales and were never investigated, I, unwittingly, assumed they knew what these scales were, after being tired of how this was screwing up, decided to "fix" it.

Now, I have to get the guys here to change those scales globaly over our whole system - rogue will only go so far - I was told that they didn't mind me going this far but changes I made to my system have to be "approved" so that everyone here can use them!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spiderguy

• ReMark

• SLW210

• dbroada

SLW210 - you are correct in that the 1:20 and so forth are 1 unit to 20 unit scale, they do not translate into 1 unit (inch) equals 20 feet, this is where the multiplyer of 12 comes in so that it becomes 1 unit = 240 units, when talking about the use of scales it is 1" = 20' or 1" = 240". I am not civil, but I work on plans that are sometimes too large to use the Architectural scale that would mean anything, I believe this cut-off to be the 1/32" = 1', beyond that it is easier to read 1" = 40' and so on. With CAD, at least to me, scaling is more strict, just because it is easy to scale in a detail to "fit" does not mean you should! I often plot things to be reviewed at a scale to fit, such as plotting a 3" = 1' detail on a 8.5 x 11 sheet, if it doesn't fit I then make it, but never to be sent out as an official drawing. And I guess the assumption was made that the 1:20, 1:200 etc... were Engineering scales and were never investigated, I, unwittingly, assumed they knew what these scales were, after being tired of how this was screwing up, decided to "fix" it.

Now, I have to get the guys here to change those scales globaly over our whole system - rogue will only go so far - I was told that they didn't mind me going this far but changes I made to my system have to be "approved" so that everyone here can use them!

I follow you now.

Engineering scales will have to be made as custom scales AFAIK in plain AutoCAD, just more not knowing proper drafting techniques at Autodesk. :?

You have already gone rogue so what's the problem? The SCALELISTEDIT command is right there at your fingertips. Anything that helps you do your job better and/or faster is an improvement. To hell with the rest of them.