detail grid

Hello,

I am trying to make a typical column and row line layout for a roof plan. I know in acad architecture this is very easy. I am using regular 2011. I went to one of the preset palettes and saw a detail grid. I have been playing around with it and am trying to figure out the purpose of this. What is that even used for? Also, if anyone knows a speedy way to do those column and row lines please let me know. I basically draw them out at this point in a template.

Thanks!

im just trying to find the best way to make a grid in autocad 2011. I saw the detail grid in the architectural palette and it makes not sense to me what it is for.

im just trying to find the best way to make a grid in autocad 2011. I saw the detail grid in the architectural palette and it makes not sense to me what it is for.

I do not have a grid in my ootb architectural palette. If you would like to post the one you have, I might could determine it's function. To create a grid you just need to OFFSET or ARRAY some LINES, PLINES, XLINES or RAYS.

hmmm,

say i have columns at 20'x20' increments, how would you line those lines up with the columns in the center? That could be very useful for me. Properties?

Couldn't you just use the ARRAY command for your column placement (20'x20' grid)? Maybe I'm not following what you are attempting to do. Are you working in 2D or 3D?

You are being a bit unclear on what you want. A grid is a grid, the spacings are whatever you need them to be, the location is where you place them. I have absolutely no clue as to what "lines up with the columns in the center" is referring.

"Grid" is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to structural columns. The distances between lines aren't always the same. Some lines may have only one column. There may be different sizes of columns in different situations, and the sizes don't necessarily scale up and down. ARRAY may work for most of it but probably not for all of it.

Columns are placed on the grid with the geometric center of the column at the intersection of the row and column lines. For simplicity's sake, the load on the column is assumed to go through that point.

In the OP's case, if there is a large area with regular intervals and identical columns, I would take SLW's and ReMark's advice. Offset the grid lines, create a block for the column with the insertion point in the center, and use ARRAY to place them at every intersection. If you're handy with dynamic blocks, you might be able to create a column block that will change size as you need it to. If not, create blocks for each size. In some places you may be able to MINSERT a column, say along a wall, while in others you will have to insert them individually.

The OP is using AutoCAD 2011 therefore he should have access to Dynamic Blocks for WF Beams - Imperial on his Structural tool palette. Not all sizes are represented however.

The OPs question

speedy way to do those column and row lines
no misunderstanding there, the OP is asking for the grid lines for column centers
The grid is for locating column/beam centerlines.

You are being a bit unclear on what you want. A grid is a grid, the spacings are whatever you need them to be, the location is where you place them. I have absolutely no clue as to what "lines up with the columns in the center" is referring.

If by "lines up with the columns in the center" the OP means "lines up in the center of the column", then M2P and selecting opposite corners will center both directions, whether the "columns" are Beams (W,H,T or S etc.), Square or Rectangle (Tubes, Wood, Concrete, etc.). If Round shaped Center snap will center. All columns are not made from W-Beam.

I guess AutoCAD Arch takes all the thinking out of it. :?