3d bar design

s100cky

bar.jpgHi All

In a bit of bother......

3D isnt really my thing but i have been asked by friend to help design a bar, as in a drinking bar that will be in a pub. I have a view of the end of the bar, it is going to be constructed with 100mmx50mm timber cladded with 22mm ply wood. I have a side profile, a front profile, and the path that i want the bar to travel along. I know there should be a a command to easily make a 3d image of this, but i am struggling after two days on and off to make this happen.

The arrow shows of the side profile shows where i want to place the bar on the path.

I may have tried to 3d the profile alread, without success....sorry if it is messy

i run autocad MEP 2011

many thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s100cky

• ReMark

• Oppie

• designerstuart

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so do you just want to extrude the profile (section through the bar) along the chamfered path shown on the right?

Try either the EXTRUDE or SWEEP commands.

If you are still having problems post what you have and someone here will take a look at it (a dwg file).

thanks ill give that ago.

i have extruded the bar, but not how i want it....doughnut! any advice on how to un-extrude an object? then i shall try sweep,

thanks all!!

2.jpg

uploaded dwg...

i have stainless steel units, which i have the blocks for, and i need to be able to edit the bar so i can put shelves in the behind it for glasses ect, again showing construction from 22mm ply.

thanks REmark!

bar.dwg

s100cky: Your drawing of the bar profile had some inherent problems. You had too many small line segments some of which overlapped each other. I ran the OVERKILL command and selected the entire object. AutoCAD detected 16 overlapping objects. This will cause problems when extruding. My solution was to trace the perimeter of your drawing using a polyline then extruding that.

thats is the one!!

not to be a pain, but ive been asked to do a dropped side of the bar near the shorter end. dwg enclosed of the side profile.

cheers dude

And just what where you expecting me to do with it?

oh right, cheers mate, clearly im well out of my depth, could you recommend a good 3D book to read? im starting a course in september, so hopefully i can learn alot more then.

Thank you for your time and patience.

(could i have the bar dwg you made??)

Cheers!:D

thanks ill give that ago.

i have extruded the bar, but not how i want it....doughnut! any advice on how to un-extrude an object? then i shall try sweep,

thanks all!!

[ATTACH]28295[/ATTACH]

The reason you got this result is you extruded the individual lines that went into making the profile. You ended up with surfaces. You also did not use the "Path" option to extrude the bar profile all the polyline path you had created.

could i have the bar dwg you made
remark told you how to make what he did - there is no reason to send you this drawing! draw the polyline and extrude it along the path!

i didnt ask you? why would u say that? if remark said that i would respect it? but why did u say it? are you one of those forum trolls? ive made my bar, i wanted to compare.

If you had created the profile using the polyline command and just traced out the perimeter of the bar you'd have 99% of the job done. The only remaining bit to do would be to use the SWEEP command and pick your polyline (the one with the 45 deg bend in it) "path". Now the result might have to be rotated. The other method would be to move the profile to the path, reorient your UCS, then rotate the profile perpendicular to the path. At this point you could use the EXTRUDE command instead.

As far as editing the bar to add cabinets and shelves you might have to get into using the Subtract command to create voids.

I learned 3D AutoCAD by way of an online course at the CAD Institute (Murray State College), Alan Kalmeja's book AutoCAD 2007 3D Modeling - A Visual Approach and a 12 week night course at a local community college on doing mechanical drawings using AutoCAD.

Check out the tutorials here at CADTutor.

I'll post the bar drawing I made in just a moment. I'll be back.

thats is the one!!

not to be a pain, but ive been asked to do a dropped side of the bar near the shorter end. dwg enclosed of the side profile.

cheers dude

The width on this drawing is 1890. The width of your bar profile is 688. Were they each drawn to FULL size or did you scale one of the two?