Ncopy 2012

Since updating to ACAD 2012, my NCOPY command has acted differently. Previously, ncopy would bring the information into my file on the current layer. Currently, ncop brings in the layer information from the referenced file I'm pulling from.

Is there a way to adjust this setting to revert back to the 2011 setting?

Seemingly so. I'm not a Ribbon convert yet so I still use the command line to get to it. There are settings, Bind and Insert are the types of NCOPY, but there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two.

Let me clarify, on my machine, there doesn't seem to be any difference however the Help definition of the two leads one to believe they should act in different ways.

Insert

Duplicates the selected objects to the current layer without regard to named objects. This option is similar to the COPY command.

Bind

Includes named objects such as blocks, dimension styles, layers, linetypes, and text styles associated with the copied objects into the drawing.

NCOPY

Copies objects nested in an xref or a block.

Just out of curiosity where is the user given the option to either Insert or Bind during the use of the NCOPY command?

Seemingly so. I'm not a Ribbon convert yet so I still use the command line to get to it. There are settings, Bind and Insert are the types of NCOPY, but there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two.

Let me clarify, on my machine, there doesn't seem to be any difference however the Help definition of the two leads one to believe they should act in different ways.

Insert

Duplicates the selected objects to the current layer without regard to named objects. This option is similar to the COPY command.

Bind

Includes named objects such as blocks, dimension styles, layers, linetypes, and text styles associated with the copied objects into the drawing.

In 2011 I just get "Select nested objects to copy:" then "Specify base point or [Displacement/Multiple] : Specify second

point or :" and places on current layer.

Which would be similar to the Insert option you mention.

NCOPY in 2012 is now a native command and no longer a part of Express Tools. From JTBWorld blog:

Copy Nested Objects

The former NCOPY express tool is integrated into the core AutoCAD software application enabling you to copy objects that are nested in xrefs, blocks, or DGN underlays without having to explode or bind them. Easily access the Copy Nested Objects tool from the Modify panel on the Home ribbon tab.

NCOPY in 2012 is now a native command and no longer a part of Express Tools. From JTBWorld blog:

Copy Nested Objects

The former NCOPY express tool is integrated into the core AutoCAD software application enabling you to copy objects that are nested in xrefs, blocks, or DGN underlays without having to explode or bind them. Easily access the Copy Nested Objects tool from the Modify panel on the Home ribbon tab.

So another fine Express Tool ruined by Autodesk. Maybe next they can FUBAR the Super Hatch. Better yet incorporate the entire Express Tools so nothing works.

It's all being done in the name of progress. Sometimes we confuse progress with improvement. Oh silly us; when will we learn?