Block behavior

Timothyl

This was strange. I was helping my boss with an AutoCAD project and she opened up a few files that contained blocks she created and in a few instances the blocks were now exploded (i.e. not blocks anymore). I had watched her earlier create the blocks and save the file so I'm sure that was done properly. Anyone have an explanation for this spontaneous combustion of blocks?

Thanks, Tim

In the block creating dialog there are choices for "convert to block", "retain", and "delete". Perhaps the retain option was picked.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. In this case she didn't actually insert the block. She was simply opening an autoCAD file of a blocked object (created through wblocking), only to find the object exploded.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. In this case she didn't actually insert the block. She was simply opening an autoCAD file of a blocked object (created through wblocking), only to find the object exploded.

When you open a file it will be individual entities unless you wblock

a block which you typically will not want to do.

Edit: Wblocking a block is ok if you use the "block" option in the dialog and not use "objects" option.

Edited by rkent