Which software would be best for a true newbee

fastbal

I am looking to buy software for use in designing my own stuff. I have never used this before, nor do i have any training in it. I have alot of things that I want to design, but really don't want to have to resort to using graph paper to accomplish the task. What is the best software, for the person outside the industry that will allow me to create?

Autodesk AutoCAD is considered the benchmark of all general non trade-specific CAD applications. It's also the most expensive, which most think is ridiculous but others see it as a small price to pay for what you get. This is, of course, related to how much use you get out of it.

Anyways, you do have alternatives and options. First option, download the 30 day trial of AutoCAD LT which an official Autodesk product. If in 30 days you can see the usefulness, then you'll have to shell out up to $1,200 for this version. Vanilla AutoCAD would be $4k I believe. This is if you wanted to stick with Autodesk.

Another alternative would be a much less expensive option for a licensed CAD application, including support. Bentey Products, or something like TurboCAD, for example.

Or, you can try some free versions with only a registration as the key to a full CAD application. http://www.caddit.net/progecad/smart.php has ProgeCAD Smart, which is a free CAD application for personal use that is strikingly similar to Autodesk's AutoCAD.

Now, in getting yourself trained, that's where the help file, and sites such as this one will come in real handy. Stick with us and you'll get plenty of support from real world designers all day every day. Hope this helps some. ;)

DoubleCAD XT and Draftsight are two other free CAD programs that are very good and very similar to Autocad LT.

But you haven't mentioned if you will be doing strictly 2D drawing or if 3D is something you're also interested in? You also have not mentioned what type of work you do? This will be a big determining factor as far as what program to use.

Welcome to the cad world! You have a grand adventure ahead of you!

Draftsight is easier to learn and use than Doublecad, in my opinion. I have both, and Doublecad can be quirky at times.

Bricscad is another paid program that has a free trial download. For about half the price of AutoCAD LT, you get a fully functional cad program that will do 3D and is also very similar to Autocad in appearance and function.

There are many more to choose from. What are you thinking about drawing? Architectural stuff? Machinery? Some programs are optimized for various disciplines and could affect your decision. Most that have been mentioned here will draw anything you want.

The designs are mech.

the 3D aspect will be a huge benefit.

THANKYOU very much for all the replies, I was looking at Alibre, Is that a good software? It seems to have a version that is about 200.00. i know that is rather cheap for this type of software, but i wonder if the quality is as good as autodesk?

i highly recommend sketchup as the free version is more than capable, is supported excellently with online help pages and forums, youtube is fully of good tutorials for every tool, and it is very quick and easy to understand the basics of.

visit the gallery at sketchucation forum to see the sort of outputs sketchup is capable of.

Lots of good advice above. Another vote for SketchUp if 3D is your goal. Now if organic modeling is something you are looking into you will need to look at other apps.

What exactly is your goal?

Welcome aboard :)

• 8 months later...

NanoCAD....because it is free? There are other free CAD programs too so you'll have to come up with a better reason than that.