cutting a door and a window

jquerel

I have a drawing where I have to cut a door and window into a small room. I have been able to layout the location of both, but when I highlight to erase around the nodes, it just erases only those. I used the extension object snap to layout the location of both. put nodes on the ends, and centers, of both objects.

In response while we await an image theres various ways of doing doors and windows it dpends on how you have drawn your original object.

4 possible ways

A flat 2d dwg so just use trim to cut out the bits not wanted.

Use thickness on your multiline walls this gives impression of 3d walls again these can be trimmed and a header section added to continue the 3d effect.

As above but draw in plan view doors and windows in elevations you draw on the face of the walls.

3dhouse.jpg

Last is create all your walls as 3d solids then you can cut out doors and windows

5th idea use autocad architecture it has these capabilities

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am working on a 2 D drawing in CAD 2011. I'm a beginner with lots of construction experience, but I'm definitely short on computer skills. I am in my last week of Level 1, and unfortunately, I'm scrambling for more exercises, which might help build my use of the commands, to produce drawings. the course was so intense that we just finished drawing, editing, annotation, which has left us one week( two 3 hour classes), to develop a skill set . in some cases there is only one example for each new lesson in the book. there is no test to pass( even though the instructor has stated he believes that most employers will ask you to take one before hiring) is there a really good source of skill building exercises, online, that I might use, to build myself up? I feel like I'm learning to speak a new language and we've moved on to sentence structure, while I don't even know, where, and when, to use a verb.

You can use a search engine and find lots of free tutorials, like this one.

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/index.htm

Also, buy a good self guided book to learn from. I like this one, and if you buy an older release it is cheap and you won't miss too much since you are learning from the beginning.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=11427238&matches=14&keyword=terry+wohlers&cm_sp=works*listing*title

I figured it out last night in class. I needed to draw intersecting lines, with the wall to use as cutting edges, then trim. gonna work on posting drawings on the site, I figure I will need the help. Thanks for the links to the tutorials, they're pretty helpful.