saving 2007 to 2010 annotative problems

I have a project that has some files in 2010 (the version we currently work in) and some in 2007. I want all the files to be in 2010. When I open the 2007 dwgs in 2010, the attributes end up extremely large and some of the text is missing from them. I assume this has to do the with annotative properties in 2010 that are not in 2007. Is there a way to either modify the attributes in 2007 so they will appear correctly when they are opened in the new version or a way to modify them once the drawing has been opened in the new version? Hope that makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

There was no such feature in AutoCAD 2007. It was introduced in 2008.

It sounds as though the drawings were done in 2010 and then a "save as" to 2007 file format was performed so someone with that version could work on the drawings. The annotative scales would have been represented in a totally different manner in 2007 than you are used to seeing in 2010.

If this is what you're doing then the system variable SAVEFIDELITY must be set to 1. "This will preserve the visual fidelity of the drawing when it is opened in a release earlier than AutoCAD 2008 by saving individual representations of each scale of each annotative object." Source: Size Does Matter: Annotative Scale Factor by Issac Harper - Cadsoft Consulting.

There was no such feature in AutoCAD 2007. It was introduced in 2008.

It sounds as though the drawings were done in 2010 and then a "save as" to 2007 file format was performed so someone with that version could work on the drawings. The annotative scales would have been represented in a totally different manner in 2007 than you are used to seeing in 2010.

Correct on the annotative beginning in AutoCAD 2008, but AutoCAD 2008 saved in 2007 format. So though a 2007 format, they would have been created in 2008 and newer version to have annotative qualities and even then I do not see how that could be the cause of missing text.

You can always turn off annotation and you may need to cleanup the scalelist.

Post the file and someone can look into the problem.

Right, and that would work if my original drawing were in 2010 and I wanted to go backwards, but I am trying to do the opposite. I have a drawing that was created in and has only been edited in 2007 and I want to open it in 2010 and save it in 2010. Is there a way to do this without the scale of the attributes getting messed up?

Right, and that would work if my original drawing were in 2010 and I wanted to go backwards, but I am trying to do the opposite. I have a drawing that was created in and has only been edited in 2007 and I want to open it in 2010 and save it in 2010. Is there a way to do this without the scale of the attributes getting messed up?

I am sure there is. I do not have that problem and 99% of the drawings I work with are pre 2008. If you would post a sample of your drawing, someone will try to find a solution.

My WAG is it would be in your current setting in 2010.

I'm trying to get the file size down so I can post the drawing. THanks.

Use the commandline version of the PURGE command. That is -purge.

Make sure you purge Regapps.

tried everything, purged, -purge, can't get the file size down to 250 kb or less.

Start removing items, all we need is an example of what is problamatic.

yeah, I did all that-removed everything in the drawing but the attribute, even zipped it....but the file is still 280 KB. I can't win today!

yeah, I did all that-removed everything in the drawing but the attribute, even zipped it....but the file is still 280 KB. I can't win today!

I haven't seen a 280KB attribute before.

Try selecting the attribute and Wblock it to create a new dwg.