Metric Block Scale Insertion Issues ACAD 2012

I've been working on several projects that require drafting in metric units and I'm having difficulty inserting block dwgs. into my working drawing at the correct scale.

My block drawing is set to millimeters. I've drawn my block and measured it. All is ok.

UNITS = milimeters; INSUNITS = 4

My working drawing is in millimeters. All line work is dimensioning accurately.

UNITS = milimeters; INSUNITS = 4

When I insert the block, it comes in extremely small. When I click on the block properties, it says it's units are in millimeters and the scale is 1. As it should be correct? except for the fact that its about 25x smaller then it should be. This leads me to believe there is an inch insertion factor some where.

To add to the conundrum, if I xref the block dwg into my working file, it comes in at the correct size. Is there an alternative block insertion scale factor setting that I'm not seeing?

I am thoroughly confused and frustrated by this. HELP.

I'va had this sort of thing with 2008 BUT the reported block scale has always shown as 0.038ish so I now have a "scale up" button for the few times it happens.

Check your express|tools|system variable editor and check the variables in the INS* area. You might spot something new there.

Try -DWGUNITS (note the - in front). millimeters = 3, YES for.... Scale objects from other drawings upon insert? and YES for..... Match INSUNITS to drawing units?

Command: -dwgunits

Drawing units:

1. Inches

2. Feet

3. Millimeters

4. Centimeters

5. Decimeters

6. Meters

Unit for length :

Drawing unit display formats:

1. Scientific

2. Decimal