Language Translation

SLW210

Does anyone know of a fast way to translate text (single line text) in AutoCAD from one language to another?

Portuguese to English to be specific.

I need to translate layer names also.

Does anyone know of a translator a little CAD/MECH inclined than Babel Fish? It took me awhile to figure out that SUPPORT OF THE LAME PERSON was a Bearing Support. :?

and that is the problem with on line translators. You can get close enough with them but to be accurate you need a person to do it accurately. And even then it may not be correct. We had two Russians in our office. The first one translated some drawings into Russian, the second asked what the Russian meant as he didn't understand it.

SLW... I have a VBA which will loop through all text and mtext, zoom on the text and let you see if you have enough room for your translated text. I use it when I translate German English drawings. With regard to the actual translation, I don't know of any decent software that will do an acceptable job even on normal text and as soon as you go into the technical areas you can forget them all. Good bi-lingual technical dictionaries (paper or ebook) are expensive. I use the internet a lot to find translations of the technical terms and then cobble together my own glossary.

SLW... I have a VBA which will loop through all text and mtext, zoom on the text and let you see if you have enough room for your translated text. I use it when I translate German English drawings. With regard to the actual translation, I don't know of any decent software that will do an acceptable job even on normal text and as soon as you go into the technical areas you can forget them all. Good bi-lingual technical dictionaries (paper or ebook) are expensive. I use the internet a lot to find translations of the technical terms and then cobble together my own glossary.

Yea, I am going through one by one then determining by the part the actual name (it would help if they were a little more accurate with the arrows). I have done German English before, but Portuguese is much tougher. :ouch:

• 4 years later...