Block thumbnails...

Is there a way to create a thumbnail for a block that looks like the block when in a drawing rather than exploded when written to a file? All of the hidden attributes are currently being shown in the thumbnail using Wblock and it is visually unappealing and confusing.

I'm using AutoCAD 2011 to create blocks and thumbnails for a program called WireCAD.

Not sure I understand the issue completely, but it sounds like your issue is being cause by the ATTMODE system variable being set to 2. Instead set ATTMODE = 1, and see if that doesn't fix the issue.

Not sure I understand the issue completely, but it sounds like your issue is being cause by the ATTMODE system variable being set to 2. Instead set ATTMODE = 1, and see if that doesn't fix the issue.

Attmode is not the issue. Let me explain further.

When I have a block inserted into a drawing, it looks like this:

FEATHER B.jpg

And when I write the block to a file, that file looks like this:

FEATHER X.jpg

And in WireCAD, the thumbnail looks like this:

FEATHER thumb.png

What I'd like to happen is the thumbnail to look the first image, or what the block looks like when inserted. FWIW, it's the same thumbnail that is seen in DesignCenter.

Edited by DNK
updated image paths

What are you going to do with your thumbnails do want to have a dialouge that displays them for user pick etc then just make a jpg by picking screen area and saving. Then search for bmp jpg in dialouges.

If you can not find anything post here I have some code

What are you going to do with your thumbnails do want to have a dialouge that displays them for user pick etc then just make a jpg by picking screen area and saving. Then search for bmp jpg in dialouges.

If you can not find anything post here I have some code

Simply, I'm trying to get the preview image in AutoCAD Design Center to reflect the block as it looks when inserted into the drawing, rather than as it looks when exploded.

I am not knowledgeable with WireCAD, but in the tool palette for AutoCAD you can specify any image for the thumbnail.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option of choosing an image file to define the thumbnail.

Does anyone know where the thumbnail data is stored?