Attributes and Fields

no, lots of posts on here some of them even posting methods to get it to work. I maintain it can't be done as the steps necessary are more complicated than typing the values in by hand.

field.jpg

Set "Field category" to "Object" (marked "1" in attached .jpeg). After selecting the attribute (marked "2" in attached .jpeg) you want to be linked to the field, select "Value" from the "Properties" list(marked "3" in attached .jpeg). This works for me every time and is simple to do.

For me this yields the ## symbol and will not FieldUpdate when it is within a block
that is what I have always found. It works for the instance you create but is not transportable into another drawing.

It can be transported if you also insert the object being linked to at the same time. I realize this may not accomplish what you're looking for. We use the fields mostly for revisions on drawings, and once you set it up once, you're good to go. If I knew exactly what was the desired end result I may be able to at least give some suggestions on how you might get there.

I just created this one quickly.

I don't have one on hand, because they've never worked... so no sense in keeping them around.

The "Default" is set to 5555. The Field will not change from that.

attfield.dwg

One example of a use for this is we have a Title Block and it has the page name in two locations, on the right and left of the page. (I don't know why, it just is). The Title Block can be inserted as a block with editable attributes for the page number etc. I want it to change in both locations at the same time.

attfield2.dwg

By using two attributes instead of an attribute and text, you can keep the link, but it needs to be set up a level above the Title Block definition block. If you insert the unlinked definition (I modified your attfield.dwg) into a dwg (my new attfield2.dwg) and set one attribute to be linked to the other and insert attfield2.dwg into your drawings the link is retained. You will need to explode the inserted attfield2.dwg prior to being able to modify the attributes. Change the base attribute, regen.

attfield.dwg

I still can't get it to work. Here's exactly what I did (using two Attributes instead of text):

DDATTDEF - Test.......

DDATTDEF - Test2.....Field, Object, Value

Rectangle

SaveAs "Attfield"

Insert that block into a new drawing, and it doesn't work the same as yours.

I don't understand the "set up a level above"

I inserted attfield.dwg into Drawing5.dwg and edited the Field to this on the Block and it seemed to work.

Is that your method?

field.JPG

It's a block within a block.Don't link the attributes in attfield.dwg, you need to link the field after you insert attfield into a new drawing. Save the new drawing, and then insert it into yet another drawing. You then have a block that contains the attributed BLOCK linked rather than the attribute DEFINITIONS linked.