Worm Gears

Switchblade

Here is where I am at with the second sketch.

CurvedlineHelicalSketch.png

If you look closely, the left side of the tooth should be .35 to match the right side. If I make that dimension .35, it makes the tooth directly across from the opposite tooth AND fully defined, thus making the curved line pointless. I need to have that tooth exactly the same and still be able to have the centerline on the second tooth mate to the curved line.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Switchblade

• shift1313

• SLW210

• endlasuresh

Switchblade, the issue is the Auto-relations that happen. You have a Horizontal relation on your top line when really it needs to be perpendicular to that dashed construction line. Select the line and you can delete the relation from the property window in the feature manager. Then you can apply the perpendicular relation.

Also I drew the front profile, back profile and then the arc to connect them. It all depends on how you need to define your gear. Do you have any specs to work off of?

No, no specifications.

I will mess around with the relations in a bit, I am a lot better with constraints in Inventor, I actually have never used them in Solid Works.

I kinda figured that was how you drew the gear (arc last), but for some reason I did it the other way around.

just let me know. I find SW much easier than inventor in all aspects. I used inventor since 07 up to 2011 and solidworks from 09 til now. I dont touch inventor anymore :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, just popping back in to say hi. I finally found out what you meant by doing those tutorials and they helped out big time. Solid Works is going pretty well, as with any 3D modeling program it takes some time to get used to but overall I am doing much better with it. With work I have not really had time to touch those gears I was making earlier but all the designing I have been doing thus far is going fairly smoothly.