Map units is in inches, I want it in feet. How do I change this?

KariCad

I am drawing a plan view of building that is 11 feet by 36 feet. I thought my map units were in feet but when I draw in the linear dimensions, it reads 11 inches x 3 feet. How do I change this?

Check the Primary Units tab in your dimension style. Make sure the scale is set to 1.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply! I checked the Dimension style-Primary Units and the scale is 1. I tried changing the unit format as well and its still reading 11"x36". Any other ideas?

In the Drawing Units window, the Insertion scale is set at Feet. When I measure the line by selecting it using the Line and Arc Information button, it gives the distance in feet. But when I use the Linear button and measure the same distance, it gives it in inches. I am confused. Did I mention that I am teaching myself how to use this program? This program is too much. :)

When you type your coordinates, if you type 36 it will only be 36 inches. You have to type 36' for it to be 36 feet. Is this how you are inputting the distances?

Just in case: http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2011/ENU/filesAUG/WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-7225.htm

This is documentation that describes how to input distances.

I think I understand what you mean. This is what I tried:

1. Click on polyline button and click a point on drawing.

2. I then type "L" into the command line to specify length of line.

3. I type in 36' and I get an error that reads "Requires numeric distance or second point."

If I type in just 36, it draws the line. That is how I originally drew it.

Thanks for your help!

In the Drawing Units window, the Insertion scale is set at Feet. When I measure the line by selecting it using the Line and Arc Information button, it gives the distance in feet. But when I use the Linear button and measure the same distance, it gives it in inches. I am confused. Did I mention that I am teaching myself how to use this program? This program is too much. :)

Forget the insertion scale, go into UNITS and at the top left use the pull down and select Architectural.

Now when you type in 36' it will give you that. Make sure you have Polar or Ortho on so when you pull your cursor away from a start point the line stays ortho.

When you start Pline command you don't have to type L, just pick a point and continue.