Expanding or shrinking a box using a relation to what's being put inside.

TheBigPineapple

Hi there guys,

I'm now trying to figure out the best way of achieving a large box (think of it as a cutlery draw) with other boxes inside of it (the 'cubicles' for each kind of item - i.e. knives, spoon - created using dividers), in such a fashion that the assignment of each cubicle to a particular implement dictates the size of that cubicle.

Whether by design table or equation or combination of both?

What we have created so far together: You start with the perimeter of the cutlery draw and make it the size required, which then will generate evenly sized cubicles to fill out the draw (their size = perimeter / number of columns & rows).

Now what we want to be able to do is assign a cubicle to take an eggbeater. It will need to be both wider and longer, but that needs to be automatic so that if we shuffle components around it auto-resizes the cubicle they're in to be as close as possible to appropriate size.

How do you reckon this could be done? We're taking baby-steps, so I should ask how would we achieve the first part, or something quite like it?

Our early way of thinking was that the objects coming in would have a relationship with the dividers which doesn't take effect until inserted, and that defines the size. But we don't know if this is possible and if so, how to get it up and running. Another thought was that since we actually know what dimensions are best for different utensils and tools, we can enter our data into a design table and apply it to the cutlery draw. Would we be able to do this, to tell it what goes where and see how it goes with that? Or does SolidWorks only have this level of functionality after many hundreds hours of involved programming?? We'd rather not reprogram the entire thing as we go, but we have got many hours though we can spend on setting it up.

Welcome aboard!

Since you mentioned Design Tables can I assume you are making these as Multi-body parts rather than assemblies?

There is a lot you can do with equations inside Solidworks without getting into any programming. You also have the option to Insert Parts into a part file but i think this is getting too far away from what you are intending to do.

The Excel functionality has a lot of power and probably the best way to go about this without getting too involved. Can you fill me in a little on how the user would interact with solidworks. Like would the user tell the "interface" the size of each cubicle. How are these things actually made? Do you need some sort of joint between them. The reason I ask is because this would probably be easier if it could all be done as a sketch.

Here is a video I did on linked dimensions. Not exactly what you want but it does show how the outside shape is adjusted based on the number of holes.

http://www.mymlcservices.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=306&video_id=291

Here is a video on driveworks and equations. The specific thing i want you to see is the use of the iif statement inside an equation.

I think the main thing you will have issues with if you try to use features is dictating which cubicles are the outside to define the overall tray size. This will most likely fail when you change the number of cubicles which is why i said a sketch is probably the best way if possible.