Simply assembly just one board on top off another?

Paradise

Hi,

i'm new to this 3D CAD stuff and i'm more into Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and so on. But i want to learn now 3D.

I found this forum trough google and it looks like it's more dedicated to AutoCAD but i hope i can get some Solidworks help here cause all the other forums are totally confusing and use bad forum software.

So the first thing i want to do is building a office desk and i made the boards and now want to assembly them. After hours of searching i know how to make springs, gears and how to put together complicated assembly's. It's funny, not even in beginner ebooks they show how to assembly simple things like two boards in a 90 degree angle. They all use pinions, holes, roods, linkages....

Ok, i get it in the way you see in picture one.

But i want the upright board on top of the bottom board. But all i get is what you see in picture 2.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Regards from Germany

welcome aboard here you can get lots of help than in other forums and this is most active forum

you should mate them as we do using normal plates.use both bottom lines to mate them.2.jpg

If you are looking for this

Wow i god it after hours of trying and watching every youtube video out there. Thank you.

But i still had to try until i god the right order what to click first. Is there a rule or something to now what sites/lines to join first?

And what do you mean by "you should mate them as we do using normal plates"?

Sorry i'm really new to Solidworks. But i'ts relatively easy. In the past i was looking into AutoCAD and always gave up cause i didn't get it.

Thank you shift1313. This hint to the multi-body showed me allot. Cools link - there are allot of videos i have to look into. Google is not really a help on Solidworks. I was looking for allot of words (cabinet, box, boards...) but nothing really showed up. Everywhere they talk about assembly's but this master model/multi-body think is cool.

So here is what i came up over night. Sure, still some errors like the lines you can see where i made my arc's, but this are some sketch making stuff i need to learn.

desk bottom.jpg

desk.jpg

desk back.jpg

No problem. Chris is a great guy and i actually sat in on that presentation in January at SolidWorks World. I have a lot of videos on that site and there are hundreds on there. I also have a bunch of stuff on my site(see link in my sig below) with links to several other sites for learning resources.