Confused about block layering...

Broph

I made some blocks (pipe guides), and when I insert them in to the drawing I want, it adds the layers that the block has, in to my drawing (which is what i want)... But, when I insert the block, it inserts it on my current layer (which is what I don't want)... How can I make it insert on a layer I specify earlier?

Do I have to have a layer current in the block drawing, and then write block it or what?

I don't want to insert it, then change it's layer for every one.

Cheers.

if you create a block on layer 0 it the block will go onto the current layer although there may be items within the block on other layers. If you don't have any layer 0 objects in your block it should be inserted onto the layers in the block. It sounds like you may have an object still on layer 0.

As an alternative I believe you can specify which layer you want a block to go on if you insert using palettes.

Hi,

I just drew something up, put it all on the same layer (test), had the current layer as 'test'... Then did the old 'write block' command... saved it. Then went in to another drawing with the current layer set as 'guide' and inserted the previously saved block.

It added the layer 'test', but the block got inserted on the 'guide' layer... So annoying, I don't want to change it's layer each time I insert it.... I'm starting to wonder if this is even possible....

Cheers.

Blocks will come in on the current layer.

You can create a block insert tool by dragging your block onto a tool palette. The layer that the block was on when you dragged it will be remembered and the tool will always insert the block on this layer. The tool will even create this layer in the drawing if it doesn't exist. You can edit this option by right clicking on the tool...

When you draw/insert something it goes on the current layer. It's the nature of the beast. Customization can get you what you want and there are a few methods but they basically set a layer to be current and then draw/insert the object.