Convert Lines to Polylines

how do i do this?

Check the help files on how to use the "pedit" command. It will convert a line into a polyline, and then you can join other segments, edit the width, etc.

There's also a Join command.

Join will take line segments that are collinear and turn them into one selectable object but it doesn't turn lines into polylines. Arcs have to lie on the same imaginary circle, and it won't join a line to an arc.

... Arcs have to lie on the same imaginary circle' date=' and it won't join a line to an arc.[/quote']

FWIW: 2012 will join an arc to a line, creating a pline in the process.

FWIW: 2012 will join an arc to a line, creating a pline in the process.

The join option of Pedit does this, but i'd have to look into the future for your version. I'm stuck in 2010! :D

There are two ways to do this:

1- I always find this procedure the easiest: use MPEDIT, select the lines, convert to polylines (YES), select JOIN and when it ask you to enter a fuzz distance just press ENTER and then press ESC to complete the process.

2- If you have an enclosed area that consist of lines, use the BOUNDARY (BO) command to convert those lines into polylines.

So I type in MPEDIT in the command line and I select the lines, what do I do after that? It keeps asking me all these different questions.

So I type in MPEDIT in the command line and I select the lines, what do I do after that? It keeps asking me all these different questions.

You answer Yes, enter, enter. Done.

PEDIT is clunky .... PolyJoin is sleek

;;---------------------=={ Polyline Join }==------------------;;
;;                                                            ;;
;;  Attempts to join all Lines, Arcs and LWPolylines in a     ;;
;;  selection.                                                ;;
;;------------------------------------------------------------;;
;;  Author: Lee Mac, Copyright © 2011 - www.lee-mac.com       ;;
;;------------------------------------------------------------;;

(defun c:pj nil (c:PolyJoin))

(defun c:PolyJoin ( / *error* _StartUndo _EndUndo vl ov ss )
 (vl-load-com)
 ;; © Lee Mac 2011

(defun *error* ( msg )
   (if ov  (mapcar 'setvar vl ov))
   (if doc (_EndUndo doc))
   (or (wcmatch (strcase msg) "*BREAK,*CANCEL*,*EXIT*")
       (princ (strcat "\n** Error: " msg " **"))
   )
   (princ)
 )

(defun _StartUndo ( doc ) (_EndUndo doc)
   (vla-StartUndoMark doc)
 )

(defun _EndUndo ( doc )
   (if (= 8 (logand 8 (getvar 'UNDOCTL)))
     (vla-EndUndoMark doc)
   )
 )

(setq doc (vla-get-ActiveDocument (vlax-get-acad-object)))
 (_StartUndo doc)

(setq vl '("CMDECHO" "PEDITACCEPT") ov (mapcar 'getvar vl))
 (mapcar 'setvar vl '(0 1))

(if (setq ss (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "LINE,ARC,LWPOLYLINE"))))
   (command "_.pedit" "_M" ss "" "_J" "" "")
 )

(mapcar 'setvar vl ov)
 (_EndUndo doc)
 (princ)
)

Typical autocad, theres usually more than one way to do something. The PE - JOIN process works as long as the lines you are joining together have the same beginning and end point, like if you were to draw several lines continouly. You can also connect multiple lines together that do not have the same beginning and end points connected by converting one line into a PLINE and using the FILLET - MULTIPLE command, select each end of two lines you want to join together, this will create the connected lines into a PLINE as long as the first one you select is a PLINE. You can also set a radius to the fillet, which is handy when you need to create a known radius that is tangent to two lines, like at road intersections.

You can also connect multiple lines together that do not have the same beginning and end points connected by converting one line into a PLINE and using the FILLET - MULTIPLE command, select each end of two lines you want to join together, this will create the connected lines into a PLINE as long as the first one you select is a PLINE. ...

This is no longer true, you don't need to convert a line to pline first, and you don't have to use fillet. If you have two lines say at 90 degrees to one another and not touching by 6 inches, start PE, Mulitple, pick, join, fuzzfactor >6, finished. They are now one pline.

Edited by rkent
clarified fuzzfactor value

This is no longer true, you don't need to convert a line to pline first, and you don't have to use fillet. If you have two lines say at 90 degrees to one another and not touching by 6 inches, start PE, Mulitple, pick, join, fuzzfactor or 8, finished. They are now one pline.

Cool, thats going to be especially helpful when the lines have different elevations.

Cool, thats going to be especially helpful when the lines have different elevations.

I don't think so.... you can't join line segments that can't define a single plane.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Check the help files on how to use the "pedit" command. It will convert a line into a polyline' date=' and then you can join other segments, edit the width, etc.[/quote']

just what the dr ordered :)