Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Newbie
    Computer Details
    Jimidy's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Default Why is Fillet not working correctly?

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hi i'm new on the forums so thought i'd start with saying Hi all

This may be a very basic problem but it is something i've never come across before, I have been trying to work on a drawing that someone originally created in the 2005 version. for some reason when I try and fillet a line and an arc the end result misses and the lines are no longer joining (massive issue when wanting to hatch or create regions for 3D modelling etc.) please see attached can anyone enlighten me on why this is happening? I've Audited, purged, resaved it to 2010 format and it still seems broke. Is there a variable somewhere the original user may have changed?

*The attached drawings are being worked on in meters I'm trying to fillet a 0.02 radius to what i've shown and as you can see the end result is not as expected. the gap is only very small and unnoticable when zoomed out but it is there and causing greif lol

Please help - thanks guys
    Attached Images

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD not applicable

Can you upload a copy of the file?

Later versions of AutoCad have a gap tolerance setting when hatching which would be a (albeit temporary) solution to hatching it.

Forum Newbie
    Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

kk i've attached the file i'm working from, I probs shouldn't have said hatching was an issue, I'm trying to create these seats as a 3D model the fillet problem is happening on the seat arms which i'm trying to make a smoother profile of rather than having the sharp edge they would have if i just profiled as they are. i know i could do the fillet after i've created the solid but this problem seems to be occuring regularly so i want to nip it in the bud now. i need to find out why it is happening really as it's slowing my workflow quite alot

Thanks again
    Attached Files

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

Perhaps you could do a kindness and actually point out where your problem is.

Having looked at the drawing, there are a lot of gaps in the linework, and arcs that are not tangential all over the place.

Perhaps Fillet is not what you should be using.

Forum Newbie
    Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

It's right there in the pics????

The shape before the fillet (the bottom one) and the shape after the fillet (the top one) dunno why they shown in that order as i uploaded the other way around. there is a little red circle around the gap that occured after the fillet command was used.

Fillet is what i need to use as i want a consistent smooth profile from the straight edge to the arc, i will then want to use this shape as a path for a profile. (I've done this kind of thing many times before, but for some reason it's not working how it normally does, tried the usual copying to another file audit purge etc. and nothing is working) I need to find out as the post topic suggests why this is happening. try doing what i've done and you'll get what i mean, i need to stop gaps occuring when i fillet a line and an arc.

Please help

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD not applicable

I had a look at the drawing and couldn't find what you are talking about either. There are a few proxy objects I can't read in there though, so perhaps it was one of those (what vertical program do you use?).

Using
    MEP 2017

I'm sorry but the pictures aren't clear enough on my screen to see what you are talking about plus the chairs in the file are gray. We need more information. If you upload a file with just the linework you are trying to fillet and provide a before and after, that would be ideal.

Is the gap at the end of the fillet? If yes, do you have the trim option turned on in the FILLET command?
    Drafting is a breeze.

Computer Details
    SLW210's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 PRO 64-bit
    Computer:
    IBM Lenovo
    Motherboard:
    ACPI x64
    CPU:
    Pentium(R) i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
    RAM:
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
    Primary Storage:
    300 GB
    Secondary Storage:
    650GB
    Monitor:
    2x ThinkVision 24"
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    SLW210's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Draftsman
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Mostly do drafting related to manufacturing. From doing site layouts with proposed updates, additions and renovations to be budgeted and submitted for bid, to updating and changing existing drawings to reflect maintenance and repair/revision work done on site.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

I see nothing in the drawing that represents the images.
    “A narrow mind and a fat head invariably come on the same person” Zig Zigler

Forum Newbie
    Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Using
    AutoCAD 2012

KK it don't really matter, I was hoping that someone knew exactly what i was talking about and was going to say, just do this and problem solved. I stress again the problem was filleting between a line and an arc, you shouldn't really need to see a file to test that, just do it in whatever drawing you have open lol.

Turns out it was an issue with receiving the drawing from the 2005 autocad. I redrew it from scratch in 2012 and the problem has gone, maybe it was just a random error on that survey file i was working from? but I've dodged it now anyway.

Computer Details
    dbroada's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    Intel Xeon E5-1603@2,80GHz
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Using
    not applicable

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I agree that the images don't help but I can find the problem - not that it helps as I don't have an answer. For anybody interested, I have set the UCS & PLAN to world and drawn a ciircle at

center point, X=532645.117 Y=103922.353 Z= 0.000

zoom in on this circle and try to fillet the line and the arc. Regen just to make sure the gap is really there.
    "That's it. It's one thing for a ghost to terrorize my children, but quite another for him to play my Theremin." Homer Simpson
    "Everything in drafting is logical. Except what isn’t." - Gavin Guile. (from the Lightbringer series of books by Brent Weeks)

Dave