Why is Fillet not working correctly?

Jimidy

Hi i'm new on the forums so thought i'd start with saying Hi all ;)

This may be a very basic problem but it is something i've never come across before, I have been trying to work on a drawing that someone originally created in the 2005 version. for some reason when I try and fillet a line and an arc the end result misses and the lines are no longer joining (massive issue when wanting to hatch or create regions for 3D modelling etc.) please see attached can anyone enlighten me on why this is happening? I've Audited, purged, resaved it to 2010 format and it still seems broke. Is there a variable somewhere the original user may have changed?

*The attached drawings are being worked on in meters I'm trying to fillet a 0.02 radius to what i've shown and as you can see the end result is not as expected. the gap is only very small and unnoticable when zoomed out but it is there and causing greif :x lol

Please help - thanks guys

after fillet.jpg

before fillet.jpg

Can you upload a copy of the file?

Later versions of AutoCad have a gap tolerance setting when hatching which would be a (albeit temporary) solution to hatching it.

kk i've attached the file i'm working from, I probs shouldn't have said hatching was an issue, I'm trying to create these seats as a 3D model the fillet problem is happening on the seat arms which i'm trying to make a smoother profile of rather than having the sharp edge they would have if i just profiled as they are. i know i could do the fillet after i've created the solid but this problem seems to be occuring regularly so i want to nip it in the bud now. i need to find out why it is happening really as it's slowing my workflow quite alot

Thanks again ;)

seats.dwg

Perhaps you could do a kindness and actually point out where your problem is.

Having looked at the drawing, there are a lot of gaps in the linework, and arcs that are not tangential all over the place. :cry:

Perhaps Fillet is not what you should be using.

It's right there in the pics????

The shape before the fillet (the bottom one) and the shape after the fillet (the top one) dunno why they shown in that order as i uploaded the other way around. there is a little red circle around the gap that occured after the fillet command was used.

Fillet is what i need to use as i want a consistent smooth profile from the straight edge to the arc, i will then want to use this shape as a path for a profile. (I've done this kind of thing many times before, but for some reason it's not working how it normally does, tried the usual copying to another file audit purge etc. and nothing is working) I need to find out as the post topic suggests why this is happening. try doing what i've done and you'll get what i mean, i need to stop gaps occuring when i fillet a line and an arc.

Please help ;)

I had a look at the drawing and couldn't find what you are talking about either. There are a few proxy objects I can't read in there though, so perhaps it was one of those (what vertical program do you use?).

I'm sorry but the pictures aren't clear enough on my screen to see what you are talking about plus the chairs in the file are gray. We need more information. If you upload a file with just the linework you are trying to fillet and provide a before and after, that would be ideal.

Is the gap at the end of the fillet? If yes, do you have the trim option turned on in the FILLET command?

KK it don't really matter, I was hoping that someone knew exactly what i was talking about and was going to say, just do this and problem solved. I stress again the problem was filleting between a line and an arc, you shouldn't really need to see a file to test that, just do it in whatever drawing you have open lol.

Turns out it was an issue with receiving the drawing from the 2005 autocad. I redrew it from scratch in 2012 and the problem has gone, maybe it was just a random error on that survey file i was working from? but I've dodged it now anyway.

I agree that the images don't help but I can find the problem - not that it helps as I don't have an answer. For anybody interested, I have set the UCS & PLAN to world and drawn a ciircle at

center point, X=532645.117 Y=103922.353 Z= 0.000

zoom in on this circle and try to fillet the line and the arc. Regen just to make sure the gap is really there. :o

I did find an odd happening in that Fillet is causing a gap to be formed in that drawing only. Not usual behaviour.

It must be something in the drawing, because when I copied the linework into a blank new drawing, Fillet behaved normally.

Interesting, very, very, interesting...

BTW, ty dbroada for the explanation as to exactly where the problem was taking place. When you said you changed the UCS, I thought for sure it was going to be a problem with the Z coordinate but that is not the case.

Interesting, very, very, interesting...

BTW, ty dbroada for the explanation as to exactly where the problem was taking place. When you said you changed the UCS, I thought for sure it was going to be a problem with the Z coordinate but that is not the case.

that was my first thought too but once lunchtime came around I lost interest.

yeah i made sure z was at 0 for both arcs and lines, even tried redrawing over it with a polyline (with arcs) it wouldn't let me fillet the polyline at all untill exploded then again it missed, so tried creating a boundary extruding to a solid exploding back to lines and it still missed when filleted lol, that file really is barmy! i've been using AutoCAD 16 years and first time i've ever seen it do that ;(