Wrapping

Hi all,

So picture the workapce....

A flat image is draw, it is a long rectangle (632x50). Is it possible for this object to be 'wrapped' so that it creates a 3D object?

I am designing an item to be made, a one of. I am printing this, backing it with card and wrapping it to create a model. I want to know if this can be done virtually so that it may be added to the printed sheet when it is handed over to the craftsperson for production.

If you can provide advice I would be very grateful.

Kind regards,

Minty

Edited by mintyfresh

OK. You say 'right out of the box' which suggests there may be some other way of doing what I require through an update or 3rd party add-on. Would this be the case? Can you think of any way it would be possible to do what I wish to achieve?

Minty

That's exactly what I'm saying. AutoCAD, as it comes, cannot "fold" flat patterns into a three dimensional shapes. Also, AutoCAD cannot take a three dimensional model and create a flat pattern. Autodesk Inventor can do this from what I hear by other users on this forum.

I do know that there are 3rd party programs or possibly even a LISP/VLISP that exists which can do what you're wanting. Researching Google might yield some good results. :wink:

At one time there was a piece of software that would take a top, front and side view of an object, drawn in 2D, and convert it to a 3D object. I want to say it was called "Z-Soft" but it has been so long I'm no longer sure.

What is this rectangle going to be wrapped around? A cylinder? A box? Other?

What exactly are you trying to depict? Maybe you should be working with an image file not a drawing?

A cylinder or sphere. It's a piece of headgear, a crown.

When it is made it will be cut from sheet metal, wrapped and welded. I have created the design from which it will be produced to hand over to the draftsperson, I thought it would be nice to include a 3D model hence my query.

Sorry, I can't think of a way to do it in AutoCAD. If it were an image you might be able to wrap it around a 3D object. Can't tell you if Inventor would be able to do it or not. We have a handful of Inventor users here so maybe one of them can tell you. Good luck.

Should I move the post or would you think they will find it here?

Well it is an AutoCAD question so it probably should remain here. Can you post the drawing?

No, sorry, I cannot disclose it - company policy. I don't think posting it would help, do you? I think it is a simple concept to understand but please correct me if you think I am wrong?

Yes, I think posting the drawing might be of some benefit.

It was a simple concept to understand once we got through post #8.

I doubt anyone here really wants to steal your company's drawing of a crown but if it is company policy to not post drawing files then so be it. We're here mainly to help solve AutoCAD related problems not to fill our personal drawing folders with purloined DWG files.

I understand. I do not want to disclose to much, it's going to form part of a dispaly and new exhibition and I think those I am collaboating with would be upset if I disclosed too much information. I would have given more details from the outset if disclosure was not an issue, I do not want to disrespect other parties involved with this project.

If you would like I can post pictures on completion - if you are interested.

I fully understand your company's position.

Here is how I might have explained the problem.

Ladies and Gentlemen of CT. Kindly view the two objects below. I would like to take the flat 3D object on the right and turn it into a circular 3D object like that on the left. I want to do this in AutoCAD or Inventor. Is it possible? If so, how?

Flat to circular.jpg

* * * Bump * * *

Refer to post above. Can the 3d flat object on the right be bent into a circular shape using Inventor?

Is the end result a wrapped solid? A similar topic was started a few days ago:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?60857-Rolling-geometry

There is a linked thread that has a prototype routine (.NET) that offers a possibility for that type of process, though It could use a little more work to make it user friendly.

That routine, as it stands, can do a pretty good job of wrapping linework. Perhaps, if it is just for a visual, linework would do. See sample.

Wrapping.dwg