Not Allowed to Make Block Annotative

qball

I have this block with attributes and I go into Block Editor and I can select Annotative Yes (ie it's not greyed out) but when the drop down closes up it stays on No.

I ended up cutting and pasting into a different drawing, Block Edit, etc and saving back. But I'm still curious as to why it wouldn't let me put it to Yes.

Retaining Wall Schedule.dwg

My follow up regarding the same block:

Ultimately I'd like to array stretch the rows of attributes. It doesn't seem to work. I can copy attributes and it gives them a red text in the Attribute Editor but is still independent of the original.

Re- first question, it because your text is annotative remember you cannot nest annotative entities only the block can be annotative.

No, I checked that. But you can put annotative text in an annotative block. But it multiplies the block and the text and gives an undesirable result.

you're right. I must have missed that annotative text. When I opened the file on my computer it wasn't annotative, so I must have changed it since uploading it here.

Glad i could help Re- second question.

Red attribute's the items shown in red have equal tag values i would always have unique tag names per block because if you need to locate/extract specific attribute values based on their tag you will have a problem, as to array stretch your attributes bit i don't quite understand what you mean or want to achive! sorry?

Yes, I understand the flaw with copying attributes.

Array stretch I mean to expand the number of rows dynamically.

I can use a wipeout that stretches to expose more attributes, but I am wary of wipeouts because of the pdf issues.

It's an interesting exercise, but I think in the end I'm ditching the attribute idea. It's easier to read and edit on screen after all.