Which Autodesk

DavidBosch

hi, Im new to this forum.

I got recently interested in Autodesk programs and was recently browsing official site.

I noticed there are multitude of Autodesk software all seem to do similar things and can be substituted by each other to a degree.

So far I understood that Autodesk is like Adobe but for 3D applications.

I don't know which one should I learn. Is there a basic prerequisite version you must learn to move on others??

about me.

Im not a civil engineer or architect . just want to learn 3D program. I like architecture a lot though.

Soft knowledge: Well versed in Adobe applications. Photoshop, illustrator, indesign, dreamweaver, fireworks, premiere. Know css and html inside out.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to forum DavidBosch.

Autodesk has a large range of programms some of which are very specific in what they do. But if you are looking at 3D-CAD then AutoCAD would be a good starting point and you could always later branch out into your desired speciality. But be warned that AutoCAD is not cheap and if you are limited in what you can spend you could always consider other CAD systems, Bricscad is just one that has had some good reports recently, look up their website.

I agree with Tyke.

Mind you though: AutoCAD is mainly based on 2D drafting. Made specially for the technical stuff.

If you just want to fool around with 3D, then 3Ds MAX would be a better choise. It's more advanced than AutoCAd in its 3D capability, BUT it's also a lot harder to learn from scratch.

Looking at your program background I can see you'll probebly will use the 3D program for graphics work.

Maybe you could look into Maya aswell.. And if you want to keep it easy to learn and don't mind a little quality-loss compared to AutoCAD (and a LOT to MAX) you can go for Sketchup...

(pease correct me if I'm wrong)

I think your first step is to decide exactly what you want to do with the software.

This could be a difficult decision when you are starting out.

The problem is that it takes considerable effort and time to master this complex software and if you pick the wrong one for what you really want to do... .... well the skills learned in one might not transfer easily to another.

Students can get Autodesk software titles for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

I would learn the base AutoCad first. Later on you may be interested in Autodesk Revit, a (separate from AutoCad) 3D, easy to model in Architecture program.

Autodesk sell over a 100 different product lines. They cover a lot of ground.

Architecture

Civil Engineering

Geospatial

Manufacturing

Product design

Entertainment

e.t.c

you may want to consider what you want it is that you want to model with the software first. or what industry you would like to work in.

Give us a clue and we'll make some recommendations!

Unless you have unlimited budget just grab Google SketchUp and jump in. They have a free version for you to get your feet wet with. If you find this to your liking you can buy the $500 Pro version and then maybe look to 3D Max or Maya if renderings or animations if you choose. This will get you started. Or if you want you can grab AutoDesks new 3D program 123D which is not really made for architecture but more for 3D parts and models.

AutoDesk makes programs from simple 2D Dratfing to apps for making the next Shrek!