• irneb

• SLW210

• mor424mont

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 9 months later...

Well,

I have never adjusted dims from 0,1, or 2 that I knew of. However, to make things work very easy, I setup a new dim style and make it annotative. In my dim style I choose a text style that is also annotative if that matters. I choose my individual preferences of precision, fit, units etc. Now all I have to do is go into model space. After I draw something I figure out my viewport(s) scale. Then back in model space. Whatever scale I had chosen I change annotative scale to that and then dimension. Typically does not fail. I do the same with leaders. As far as annotative blocks, I am not there. I have them all drawn 1 to 1 in model space. If I want to bring it into a drawing that I am doing at 1/8"=1'-0" I would have to scale the block by 96. If there is text in the block all hell breaks lose though. Still a newb to annotative blocks.

Well,

I have never adjusted dims from 0,1, or 2 that I knew of. However, to make things work very easy, I setup a new dim style and make it annotative. In my dim style I choose a text style that is also annotative if that matters. I choose my individual preferences of precision, fit, units etc. Now all I have to do is go into model space. After I draw something I figure out my viewport(s) scale. Then back in model space. Whatever scale I had chosen I change annotative scale to that and then dimension. Typically does not fail. I do the same with leaders. As far as annotative blocks, I am not there. I have them all drawn 1 to 1 in model space. If I want to bring it into a drawing that I am doing at 1/8"=1'-0" I would have to scale the block by 96. If there is text in the block all hell breaks lose though. Still a newb to annotative blocks.

I agree with you ... though there are some issues regarding the use of annotative dims / leaders. Especially if you start adding extra scales onto the same dim/leader/text. Stuff like mirroring and stretching starts to play havoc with the positioning of the annotations. Also many have found issues with anno scales themselves. So a lot of people simply refuse to use them. BTW, I'd advise you use a text style for the anno dim, which is non-annotative and it's default height set to 0. That way you only need one single setting (in the dimstyle) to define the text's height - else you'd run into issues there too.

This thread is simply meant to show the alternatives available - not necessarily an either-or situation. As both DimAssoc=1 and 2 is still available with annotative dims also.

If you notice, I did mention annotative in my OP (original post).

Anyhow, this is a rather old thread now. Since then I've done very little in AutoCAD. 90% of my work is now in Revit.