+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Newbie
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    MEP 2014

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

this thread is helpful great jobs men!

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

This thread really helped, thank you.

Computer Details
    bjenk8100's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    windows 8 64 bit
    Discipline
    Construction
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Default Dims

Well,

I have never adjusted dims from 0,1, or 2 that I knew of. However, to make things work very easy, I setup a new dim style and make it annotative. In my dim style I choose a text style that is also annotative if that matters. I choose my individual preferences of precision, fit, units etc. Now all I have to do is go into model space. After I draw something I figure out my viewport(s) scale. Then back in model space. Whatever scale I had chosen I change annotative scale to that and then dimension. Typically does not fail. I do the same with leaders. As far as annotative blocks, I am not there. I have them all drawn 1 to 1 in model space. If I want to bring it into a drawing that I am doing at 1/8"=1'-0" I would have to scale the block by 96. If there is text in the block all hell breaks lose though. Still a newb to annotative blocks.

Computer Details
    irneb's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win7 Pro 64bit
    Computer:
    Antec One Hundred
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P8P67-Pro P67
    CPU:
    Intel i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz
    RAM:
    16GB-1600MHz
    Graphics:
    GeForce GT 430 (1GB)
    Primary Storage:
    Seagate1TB SATA2 - 7200rpm
    Monitor:
    Samsung 2333TN 23" 1920 x 1080 Full HD LCD Monitor2GW
    Discipline
    Architectural
    irneb's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Technician and Programmer
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by bjenk8100 View Post
    Well,

I have never adjusted dims from 0,1, or 2 that I knew of. However, to make things work very easy, I setup a new dim style and make it annotative. In my dim style I choose a text style that is also annotative if that matters. I choose my individual preferences of precision, fit, units etc. Now all I have to do is go into model space. After I draw something I figure out my viewport(s) scale. Then back in model space. Whatever scale I had chosen I change annotative scale to that and then dimension. Typically does not fail. I do the same with leaders. As far as annotative blocks, I am not there. I have them all drawn 1 to 1 in model space. If I want to bring it into a drawing that I am doing at 1/8"=1'-0" I would have to scale the block by 96. If there is text in the block all hell breaks lose though. Still a newb to annotative blocks.
    I agree with you ... though there are some issues regarding the use of annotative dims / leaders. Especially if you start adding extra scales onto the same dim/leader/text. Stuff like mirroring and stretching starts to play havoc with the positioning of the annotations. Also many have found issues with anno scales themselves. So a lot of people simply refuse to use them. BTW, I'd advise you use a text style for the anno dim, which is non-annotative and it's default height set to 0. That way you only need one single setting (in the dimstyle) to define the text's height - else you'd run into issues there too.

This thread is simply meant to show the alternatives available - not necessarily an either-or situation. As both DimAssoc=1 and 2 is still available with annotative dims also.

If you notice, I did mention annotative in my OP (original post).

Anyhow, this is a rather old thread now. Since then I've done very little in AutoCAD. 90% of my work is now in Revit.
    Knowledge is proportional to experience, but wisdom is inversely proportional to ego!
    My little bit of "wisdom": Hind-sight is useless, unless used to improve the next forethought!