+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Default Model Space to Paper Space Rotation

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

My company recently hired out some AutoCAD work. The task they completed was to load our drawings from pre-CAD days (1970s and 80s) into AutoCAD and update them with new piping and notes. Somehow, when they did this, the drawings in model space ended up sideways, but they are right-side-up in paper space. This is making it very difficult to work with the drawing in model space. A simple rotation of the entire model space drawing does not solve the problem because the xref files are correctly oriented, and they do not rotate with the added notes, etc. Also, it does not work to rotate just the notes and realign the leaders because then the drawing ends up sideways in paper space.

There must be some way to fix this, I just can't seem to figure out how. Help?

Thanks!

Discipline
    Mechanical
    DANIEL's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Industrial
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

check your ucs rotations, you may need to make use of the PLAN command, can you post some screen shots of the model tab, paperspace tab and the base file? I may be misunderstanding your issue.
    If you would like to help my 2 year old niece Alaina in her battle against Leukemia you can donate blood at any Carter Blood Care and put SPON050875 on the donor form. Thank you so much for any contributions in this matter that you can make.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Computer Details
    Kremer's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Xp
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor, 2304 MHz
    RAM:
    3.326 Gig's (4Gig restricted by XP)
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (1024 MB)
    Primary Storage:
    1.1 Tera
    Monitor:
    19" HD
    Using
    MEP 2010

If I understand correctly, they may have used the MVSETUP (MVSETUP -> Align -> Rotate View) command to rotate the modelspace within the viewport.

Or possibly just rotating the viewport itself?

Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Industrial
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

again, a visual will really help us determine what sort of help you need instead of guessing, post a cad file would be best but screen shots should be sufficient if thats not a possibility.
    If you would like to help my 2 year old niece Alaina in her battle against Leukemia you can donate blood at any Carter Blood Care and put SPON050875 on the donor form. Thank you so much for any contributions in this matter that you can make.

Forum Deity
    Computer Details
    nestly's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

I think Daniel probably has it correct. In Modelspace, type UCS > [W]orld, then PLAN > [W]orld. If that doesn't fix the sideways condition, all you have to do is rotate the UCS 90 degrees in the correct direction, then use PLAN with the [C]urrent option.

Some screenshots would be help us provide more specific help, or post the drawing if it's not too large. (no need to include the xrefs)

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Unfortunately, I work for a hospital, so screen shots of all kinds have been removed or disabled to protect patient privacy. I don't think UCS rotations will work because I'm working in 2D, perhaps I just don't know enough about using that command. I did try using nestly's suggestion to no avail. Let's see if I can do a better job of explaining this... The files I'm working with are traditional architecture drawings. The xrefs are floor plans. The sideways information that the external company added for me are the notes, pipes, mechanical boxes and eupiment. In model space, the drawing title, legends, notes, leaders, etc. are all sideways. I have no idea how the other company even accomplished this, but I think it might have been a result of having to scan the paper drawings into their computer system. And again, somehow, it all appears correctly within the title block in paper space. The main issue is that when you try to add a feature in model space, you have to rotate it sideways (90 degrees) for it to appear correctly in paper space. I would like to get images in the model space to appear right-side-up without altering their appearance in the paper space tab.

I have yet to try changing viewports. I'll let you know what happens once I've tried that.

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Default Example File

This is a very simplistic example of the files I'm trying to fix. Many have hundreds of leaders and notes over much larger buildings. I'm thinking it is a viewport issue, but I still can't seem to figure out how to correct it.
    Attached Files

Forum Deity
    Computer Details
    nestly's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Do you have the NAVVCUBE turned on? If so, it will show you whether the UCS has been rotated in either modelspace, or in your viewport. (North will not be at the top)

Computer Details
    Kremer's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Xp
    CPU:
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor, 2304 MHz
    RAM:
    3.326 Gig's (4Gig restricted by XP)
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (1024 MB)
    Primary Storage:
    1.1 Tera
    Monitor:
    19" HD
    Using
    MEP 2010

Try:

DVIEW -> Just hit enter, or select all. -> TW (Twist) -> Proper angle

Discipline
    Mechanical
    Occupation
    Industrial
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

in the future i'd recommend saving the file down to an older version that way straglers like me with old versions can open it lol, even so, i do believe its a ucs thats most likely been rotated to true north, hit f1 and do a search on the PLAN command, should help.

type in ucsicon and then enter ON to turn it on, if its at an angle this is likely the issue.

I'm betting that if you type in 'plan' enter and then 'world' enter it straightens out, though it will likely need rotating back square to your cross hairs which is likely to screw with your paperspace view.