Invisible lines

ServaCleanCAD

Hi all,

I've received a drawing from a customer, which is a room layout in 2D. There are loads of lines which are invisible, but you can see they are there by selecting them. I've moved all lines to a visible layer, they are all the same colour, thickness, linetype, etc (I've checked this by drawing a new line, and matching properties with it), but the lines refuse to remain visible. Has anyone found this before, and know of the reason for the invisible lines?

Thank you

SLW210 - do you need a beer? This is the second time you've replied to me in a less-than-friendly way. Remember, this is the "AutoCAD Beginner's" forum, hence I'm new to this. Anyway, how do I post a picture of an invisible line? The first image would show a black screen, the second would show a selected straight line?!? I'm sure you don't need to be Stephen Hawking to guess what it would look like....

Anyway, I've found a wipeout linetype that I can't purge. There are also a load of blocks which I can't purge. I'm sure this is something to do with XREF's, which I don't understand at all, they seem like a waste of time to me...

Please help! (not with "everyone can continue guessing" remarks please)

Hi Nestly,

I can't see a way of attaching a DWG - only a link or image. The drawing is 5Mb anyway, and I've discovered that it has been created using something other than AutoCAD, as it said as I opened the drawing in AutoCAD. There are approx 40 blocks which I can't select or purge (I've tried all I know, like qselect to pick them). There is a wipeout linetype which I also can't purge, as it's "used in the drawing". I'm resorting to plotting the drawing as a PDF, and converting it back to DWG. Messy, but works.

Dude, XRef's are simply another drwaing shown in the background. A Fabulous tool.

Did you check layer transparency?

When you do select one of the ******s, in the properties box:

- what layer is it on?

- what color is it?

- what linetype is it?

- what are it's Z values?

What happens if you put it on a different layer?

Also - You could be in Perspective View. Sometimes that makes a mess.

Try typing PLAN, then hit enter twice.

There are may things that could do this.

To attach:

Click REPLY (not the quick reply but the full one)

Click MANAGE ATTACHMANTS

Of course, the images are the wrong way round - the before select is the lower image, the after select is the upper one.

SLW210 - do you need a beer? This is the second time you've replied to me in a less-than-friendly way. Remember, this is the "AutoCAD Beginner's" forum, hence I'm new to this. Anyway, how do I post a picture of an invisible line? The first image would show a black screen, the second would show a selected straight line?!? I'm sure you don't need to be Stephen Hawking to guess what it would look like....

Anyway, I've found a wipeout linetype that I can't purge. There are also a load of blocks which I can't purge. I'm sure this is something to do with XREF's, which I don't understand at all, they seem like a waste of time to me...

How was that less than friendly? I will not be helping you.

Can you use a crossing window to select a small portion of the drawing then use WBLOCK to export the selected items to a new drawing file. That should be small enough to post as an attachment, while still including a sample of both the visible and invisible obects.

Wblock.JPG

are the lines Black colour, or very close to it? maybe Block out a small portion of the drawing and upload it here using Go Advanced, Manage attachments

It looks like a wipeout or solid hatch as already suggested to me. You really do need to upload the file so we can try it out.

I don't think SLW210 was being unfriendly either in my opinion.

Holy over sensitivity, Batman!

Hi Rob,

Yes, your probably right.... I was a little over-sensitive there. I assume you all know what pressure is? We're incredibly busy at the moment, and all I asked for was a little help to get a drawing to a customer. I still can't crack the problem, so I've moved on by printing the offending drawing as a PDF and converting back to a DWG. If I caused offense, then I'm sorry. However, a "super moderator" telling me that he's not prepared to help is uncalled-for.

Mark

FWIW, I agree that his comment was less than friendly. If he had thought about it for at least second, he would have realized he was asking for a visualization of invisible lines.

There are a few more like him on this forum. Unfortunately, they are the people that reply the most.

Mark, we get drawings from a non AutoCAD source and can also not see some of the lines, because of their colour and the background colour of the graphics area. We just changed the graphics area background colour to a mid grey and all the lines were then visible. We are not allowed to change the colours of the lines as it cocks up their system when they read the data back in.

I am more than happy to leave and not come back.

Seems to me the INVISIBLE LINES once selected came out quite nice.

Good-bye.