Problem Making Sheet Metal Flat Pettern in Inventor 2010

foxthegreat

I am having trouble making a flat pattern from a sheet metal part.

I can make a flat pattern from portions of the part, but not the entire thing.

Is multiple bends in different directions too much for Inventor to handle or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help!

.... or am I doing something wrong?

Yep, for starters you didn't use the Sheet Metal tools to create your part.

Now there is nothing wrong with using the standard tools to make a sheet metal part - if you know what you are doing, but you have a cut that isn't done correctly with sheet metal.

Also, I noticed that your first sketch is not constrained or making use of obvious symmetry about the origin.

You might start by reading this document.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

If you zoom in notice that the fillet doesn't end at the flange but goes all the way down the part - I don't think this is what you intended for a sheet metal part.

On the fold at the base the edges must be perpendicular to the flat (hard to see from my correction to your part, but hollar back if you don't see (or understandy why) the difference.

problems.jpg

You have a distance of .15 here between these faces but then you add a .152 fillet. Obviously that won't work unless you cut a notch at the ends of the flange.

short distance.png

Sheet Metal 1.zipCheck this one (be sure to set you sheet metal style thickness).

I didn't take the time to do it correclty with obvious symmetry about the origin, but you should see the differences to your model.