trouble opening .sldprt file in inventor

psych

i am trying to open a 2010 solidworks file with inventor design suite 2012

i get an autodesk Inventor Translation Report Error

any ideas?

thanks

I'm pretty sure that Inventor nor any Autocad product has any allowable interoperability for this as Solidworks is AutoDesk's main competition.. If you cant import the file directly using Inventors import system, then the best thing you can do is either export it into a .PDF file or a generic DWF or DWT if this is possible in solidworks, then import it this way...

Hope this helps

QE

Inventor 2012 will read in Solidworks 2010 files. You probably have something else going on with your process.

Inventor 2012 will read in Solidworks 2010 files. You probably have something else going on with your process.

Hang on a minute... So solidworks 2010 and above files WILL open in Inventor 2012?? Read only, Editeable to any extent? Do I read this right????

SW 2011 will not, only up to 2010 right now. They will come in as dumb solids that can be edited with Feature Recognition or Inventor Fusion.

ok, so I can take a Solidworks 2010 file (or earlier?) and open it in ACAD, then edit in fusion as it were an autocad authored drawing with no drawbacks?

cheers

Only drawback is that there is no history to the model, but yes. Its been this way since Inventor Fusion came out. ACAD 2012 just added the functionality.

SWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!! Ive got a couple of clients that use Solidworks, and for ease of use, ive just been crossing between the 2 to suit them, but given the choice, i'd rather not. Does it save in the Solidworks file format though? or does it save in ACAD's native format...

thanks

QE

:x******!!!!!!!!! guess ill have to keep on meandering between the 2 until the clients come to their senses.. Oh well...

Could be worse.

Could be google sketchup they use!!!!!!