Unselectable OLE in AutoCAD 2004

DANIEL

I have a co-working using AutoCAD 2004 who is unable to select certain OLE's that have been inserted from word. If I open them up in 2007 they function fine. Any ideas?

You say he is unable to select certain OLEs so one must determine what is the difference between those he can and cannot select.

Could they be on the Defpoints layer or a layer that is locked?

And all OLE objects have their respective frames displayed?

The frames display but you can't select them, not even the grips or even through the OLE menu.

Did you test one of these malfunctioning OLE objects from Word in a NEW drawing by any chance?

There's no way to get access to the OLE to get it into a new drawing.

You do have a copy of the Word document on your computer right?

no, we've been copying and pasting notes from previous drawings for years now, right now i'm just looking to prevent someone from having to retype everything and reinsert it, which works and allows us to edit the OLE as one would normally be able to do. But, I also would like to know what caused this to begin with so that it can be prevented in the future.