Literal dimension in a scaled drawing

gsf

I receive drawings from others and do material take-offs. I need to learn how to make real measurements electronically in a drawing so I can stop having them plotted so I can use a scale.

thanks!

gsf

I'm sorry, I guess I don't quite understand...You use MEP 2011 and you don't know how to put dimensions on? What software is being used by who ever you get the drawings from? Can they not put adequate dims on for you to do a take-off?

If you are working on a drawing that has been scaled, and there are no dimensions or known distances, you're going to need to know what the scale factor is before you can place dimensions that will mean anything.

Maybe you could post one of the drawings you're having trouble with. The old saying "a picture is worth 1000 words" is why drafting was invented.

I'm sorry' date=' I guess I don't quite understand...You use MEP 2011 and you don't know how to put dimensions on? What software is being used by who ever you get the drawings from? Can they not put adequate dims on for you to do a take-off?

If you are working on a drawing that has been scaled, and there are no dimensions or known distances, you're going to need to know what the scale factor is before you can place dimensions that will mean anything.

Maybe you could post one of the drawings you're having trouble with. The old saying "a picture is worth 1000 words" is why drafting was invented.[/quote']

Scale is 3/16" = 1'. Also, after my post I emailed and asked, and they dimensioned for me. They are going to have me go by and they will show me what to do. It is just a tad embarrassing to admit I do not know how to use this very well yet. I am assuming it is a s simple function.

So in other words you want to learn how to put dimensions on a drawing? First start with setting up your Dimension Style. If the company you work for has a set of standards to follow it might do some good to look them over. Things like arrowhead size, text style and height, where dimensions are shown in relation to the dimension line, etc. are all good things to know.

Aren't the drawings done to scale (could be full size)?

That would make it easy for me. I probably should take a class rather than try and learn this blindly. I got the originating party to scale it for me. I also copied and pasted one of the Dimensions to another of their drawings. It created the new layer and I can scale, so it must be something relatively simple, but not if one has never done it, hence the Beginners room.

gsf

Edited by gsf
speeling

So in other words you want to learn how to put dimensions on a drawing? First start with setting up your Dimension Style. If the company you work for has a set of standards to follow it might do some good to look them over. Things like arrowhead size, text style and height, where dimensions are shown in relation to the dimension line, etc. are all good things to know.

Yes, I want to learn to put dimensions into a scaled drawing, they will show me the next itme I am there. I work for myself but I do control drawings and if I was forced to do something with a necessary measurement, like a control panel, I would just do it full sized. So, branching into an area where I must make use of drawings scaled by others is new. I may just have to take a class if i want to pursue this avenue. Plus, via your post, it would be good for me to learn the standards of anyone I get drawings from. But, I will also ask them to throm some dimensions in!!

Thanks

gsf

Edited by gsf
Added to comment/reply

If I were doing the drawings, from scratch, I too would do them full size then utilize a paper space layout and viewports. I'd also consider using annotative scaling for my text and dimensions. Any of this sound familiar?

If you go to the CADTutor home page, you'll find the word "Tutorials" in the upper left corner. A lot of these are video presentations that run 3 or 4 minutes each so they don't take up a lot of your time. They are free to use, and you can watch them as many times as you wish, plus, if you don't understand something it's not far to the forum to ask questions. I'm sure they can help you out. I've watched several of them and they are very well done.

Please don't feel embarrased about asking anything you need to know. We all have to start somewhere. Just don't let the questions you get asked in return upset you or scare you off. It's necessary when trying to help someone learn AutoCAD to ask direct, pointed questions to get at the root of the problem as quickly as possible.

Drawing full size in model space is in my opinion the best way to do things. Naturally, the drawing won't always fit on a sheet of paper, but it is possible to scale the view in paperspace to make it fit instead of scaling the actual drawing. Much easier once you know how than fooling about with scaling the objects themselves. Still, lots of folks do it the other way, and if it's a customer, you just have to deal with it.

If you can post one (remove any identifying information to protect your customer, of course) it will be much easier to help you figure out what to do. There are as many different ways to do something in AutoCAD as there are people doing it.

It sounds like the customer has created a "scaled" drawing much like one would have done back in the days of manual drafting.

Either rescale the Model (example: Scale:3/16" = 1'-0" Scale drawing X 64 = Full Scale) or set _DIMLFAC = 64 and dimension will show the correct dimensions.

I receive drawings from others and do material take-offs. I need to learn how to make real measurements electronically in a drawing so I can stop having them plotted so I can use a scale.

thanks!

gsf

I am going to assume that the drawings you have received are made with scaled viewports, if this is the case simply find the dimensioning toolbar or barring that just type DIMLIN, enter, pick two end points using the osnap endpoint. (See the Osnap button at the bottom of the screen, right click, check off endpoint and intersection and center) now exit Osnap and pick on the button to turn it on if it is not already.