Problem with hatching overlapping objects

Mr.Alex

Hi there,

I'm trying to hatch multiple objects in one go, most of which overlap with eachother in places. When I do this, the overlapping areas don't get hatched. I've tried selecting different options for island detection, but this doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Alex

The overlapped areas will not hatch as long as you use objects to define the boundaries. Any time you have one object inside another, the hatching toggles on or off depending on how many borders it crosses. As far as AutoCAD is concerned, an overlap is an island, an embedded border, and it will not be hatched under any circumstance. You will have to create separate hatches. If the patterns do not line up, redefine the origins for both hatches to be the same arbitrary point.

and it will not be hatched under any circumstance. You will have to create separate hatches.

That is not exactly true. You can still create a single hatch, but you just have to pick each area. See below.

hatchall.gif

Sometimes it's easier to trace the border with a polyline on a no plot layer than it is to make multiple picks. Also, if the hatch is associative, it makes for easy adjustments.

Thank you for your replys. That's a shame that it's not possible - it would be very handy if it was.

That's AutoCAD for you--very handy for some theoretical users, not so much for the rest of us.