unable to open Sheet set files (*.dst)

enemigoman

Hello:

As of today, my sheet set manager is unable to open any sheet set files (*.dst). It was working fine yesterday. There is no error message or prompt; it simply won't open them.

At first I thought it was some compatibility issue, since I recently upgraded from ACAD 2011 to ACAD 2012 (both 64 bits), but the dst file was created using 2012. I had been even creating new sheets and modifying the dst properties as recently as yesterday.

I opened the same files in my still-installed 2011 and the same result.

However, I went to some colleague's computer to open the same files, since the files are located in a networked environment, and voilá, the dst works perfectly. My colleague still uses 2011.

This means there is something wrong with "me".

Also, when I try to create a new sheet set file via the Sheet set Wizard, when I go from "Sheet Set Details" to "Choose Layouts" I can't and it throws me the message "Unable to create sheet set file: [route]".

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Edited by enemigoman

Seen a similar instance happen and the solution we came up with here in the office was to re-install AutoCAD on the effected machine, ensuring all the settings files under your users/login_name/autoCAD folders are removed as well for whichever version your installing (complete clean install).

We assumed something 'broke' in the AutoCAD configuration settings. Re-installed and it corrected it for us.

Double-check to see if the .dst file extension is still assigned to 'AutoCAD' via Windows Explorer (just a second thought, not sure if it will do anything constructive but worth a check).

Before you reinstall... you mentioned that the desired .DST is not openning in SSM automatically, when you open related drawings.

Have you tried manually opening the .DST via SSM?

CT_ssm.open.png

Hello and thanks to all for your valuable thoughts:

To Edwin: Spot on! I let someone else log in my computer and the problems persisted. This was the same colleague whose computer I used to test-open the files and they worked perfectly.

To RenderMan: Yes, I tried both ways. First, I directly double-clicked the files. When normally-working, this will automatically open the Sheet Set associated with the files, but in my case, it didn't. My next step was trying to manually open it as you illustrate and it simply did not do anything. It does not even throw an error message or anything. Next, I tried to make a new sheet set and then it threw me the error message "Unable to create sheet set file: [route]".

To Cadologist: I think I will eventually re-install ACAD. However, what puzzles me is that it worked fine for a few days. If something "broke", it was not during installation, but later.

An additional reason why I'm inclined to re-install the thing is that a new "symptom" has appeared: e-transmit no longer works. Again, it worked fine for a few days, but now it does not. The error message says "Failed to load transmittal component: incorrect registry entry".

Once again, thanks to all.

Just to add, not sure how your network login or your work login is setup but I remember at another company I worked at where there were local and roaming profiles, sometimes, for whatever reason it would access an older version of your profile (archived) or something and cause all hell to break loose in AutoCAD. That again, at the time, required a reinstall and blowing away your login profile completely).

Re-installing is a last ditch solution at times to correct things. If you do re-install, make sure you install any service packs that are available as well.

An additional reason why I'm inclined to re-install the thing is that a new "symptom" has appeared: e-transmit no longer works. Again, it worked fine for a few days, but now it does not. The error message says "Failed to load transmittal component: incorrect registry entry".
This sounds as if you've got a corrupt registry in your Windows. Run a ChkDsk - you'll probably need to do so at boot-time though (Right-click on the C: drive in explorer, select Properties, open the Tools tab and Click "Check Now ..." under the "Error-checking" group. Turn on the "Automatically fix ..." at least. Click Start, it'll probably tell you if it needs to run during boot and set it thus).

If this is the "problem", then why did your registry become corrupt? Which could be one of many reasons: Failing HDD, some program that wrote over something it shouldn't, a virus, a bug with something in Windows (or ACad / anything else), somewhere a power-failure while it was writing to reg, etc. If this happens again you might want to do some further checking on the disc, even doing a re-install of Windows and/or replace your HDD if having many bad sectors.

• 1 month later...

Hello:

I know it has been quite a while, but I was allowing some time to be sure befor I posted.

Bottom line is: I re-install AutoCAD and problem solved.

I guess some file did get corrupted somehow (no idea), but the problem has not happened again.

anyway, thanks to all.

• 3 years later...

Hilarious, Civil 3d 2014. Same problem sort of... Sheetsets open but i cant use them or see the sheets etc.. see attached

sheetsets-open1.jpg

sheetsets-open2.jpg

sheetsets-open3.jpg

Re-install from the windows control panel seems to fix the problem though.

How strange..