Autocad 2012 takes ages to load(and save) dwg files

M76

I've just switched to autocad 2012, and when I'm opening dwg files it takes up to 2-3 minutes to open and save them. Autocad 2007 opens and saves the same files in mere seconds without problems. What's the hickup?

In fact I was referring to that "Hotfix for AutoCAD 2009" (and 2007) from Autodesk (see posts 4 and 8) - maybe there is something similar for 2012, too.

Regards,

Mircea

Perhaps it is a problem with AutoCAD attempting to find the folder the drawings are stored in since it exhibits this rather strange behavior when opening and closing drawings. You can test this theory by downloading a file from the network to your hard drive then opening it with AutoCAD. It should open in a normal fashion (no delay).

No, the files are not on a network, it doesn't matter where they're opened from. I meant the computer is connected to a network.

The cpu usage is high during the delay.

CPU usage is high. Meaning what? Have you checked your hard drive activity light? Does it seem to be flashing a lot even when you aren't doing much of anything?

have you double-checked the paths to your drawing files to make sure they are correct? Are those paths unusually long (do you have project folders with a lot of subfolders)?

No, there are no intricate subfolders, and other obstcales. I mean high that during the delay autocad is using 50% of cpu time constantly which means its using all the cpu time avaialable to one thread.

There is no hard drive activity during this time at all.

No hard drive churning? Do you have Windows "indexing" disabled?

What version of Windows are you running?

So you have 2007 and 2012 on the same computer?

I don't have indexing disabled, and there is no crunching, nothing. It just sits uses all the cpu time and does nothing with it.

I had 2007 on the same computer until I uninstalled it.

What version of Windows are you running? Is it Win7?

Did you try disabling your anti-virus program?

What else is currently running in the background? Something has to be running besides AutoCAD.

• 4 weeks later...
I've just switched to autocad 2012, and when I'm opening dwg files it takes up to 2-3 minutes to open and save them. Autocad 2007 opens and saves the same files in mere seconds without problems. What's the hickup?

The issue is probably the system variable SAVEFIDELITY. I set mine to 0 and I'm back in business! It was taking over 1/2 hour to save in Civil 3D. WARNING: If you need reverse compatibility with 2007 or older formats, you may not want to do this. See the original article by Orhan Toker: http://www.dailyautocad.com/2011/03/is-it-taking-too-long-to-save-drawings.html