Workspaces in Autocad MEP 2012

cfitzpa

I just got my 2012 update for Revit MEP. Which comes with Autocad MEP Imperial, Metric, Global, Inventor Fusion and Autocad design review.

My question is where is my MEP workspaces now? When I'm in Autocad MEP 2012 the workspaces show as Drafting and Annotation, 3D Basics, 3D Modeling, Autocad Classic, 2D drafting and annotation - Migrated from Autocad MEP 2011, 3D Modeling - Migrated from Autocad MEP 2011.

My MEP 2011 version workspaces were: Electrical, HVAC, Piping, Plumbing and Schematic.

Where do I find the electrical workspace or do I need to create a custom one?

You're probably in the wrong Profile. Type WORKSPACE at the command line, then SE to bring up the Workspace Settings dialog box. Are there any of the typical MEP Workspaces there? If not then you may check the Profiles tab in Options to see if you're in the vanilla AutoCAD profile.

I tried that it didn't work. I contacted Autodesk they told me to do this:

1. Close AutoCAD MEP

2. Click on the Windows Start button

3. Go to All Programs

4. Go to the Autodesk folder

5. Go to AutoCAD MEP 2012 folder

6. Choose Reset Settings to Default

It worked.

Thanks, for the reply i was totally lost.

I personally have found changing work spaces more trouble than it's worth. I have never seen the benifit, but then again I am no expert.

Really? I live and die by customizing different Workspaces. I freaking love it. It's like having multiple version of AutoCAD and with the click of a button you instantly can access a whole other interface of tools and options.

For instance, I have my "MEP" Workspace, then I have my normal "gotta-draw-really-fast-in-2D-only" Workspace.

Maybe there is somthing I'm not using? I just use the "Right Click" on the AMEP "Tool Palette, and change between HVAC / Piping /Electrical...etc.

But hey, I still use Toolbars :)

SNAGHTML25d2db0.PNG

No that's Tool Palettes, not Workspaces.

Lower right of the interface, look for the "Elevation: +0'-0"" tool. To the left three icons is the gear icon, which is your Workspaces. Do a search for them in the Help file, good documentation there.

Okay, maybe this is a Dumb question, but what's the difference between piping workspace and HVAC workspace. Is there somthing that I cant do from a Piping stand point while having the HVAC workspace loaded?

Okay, maybe this is a Dumb question, but what's the difference between piping workspace and HVAC workspace. Is there somthing that I cant do from a Piping stand point while having the HVAC workspace loaded?

No such thing as a dumb question with me!!

You can technically access everything from any Workspace. It's just the arrangement of tools, ribbons, palettes, etc. That's what a Workspace is. Basically, the interface. You position things, add or manipulate things from the CUI editor, etc. Then you type WSSAVE and name it. You have to think outside of the box for it to be beneficial because customized Workspaces need to fit your needs in a most efficient manner.