Select Objects in Multiple Layout Tabs

qball

I want to be able to select all my viewports in all my layouts at the same time. Is this possible?

Qselect only catches objects in the current tab.

As far as I know, you can achieve that only programmatically:

(ssget "_X")

But any further operation on that selection set will filter out the entities that doesn't belong to active space.

Regards,

Mircea

I think it selected them, then filtered out all the objects that weren't in the current space as Msasu said.

I think you're mistaken....

It does select all of them, exactly as requested.

Additionally, once the viewports are selected, you can change color, layer, etc. just like any other selected objects... and no, viewports on the other layout(s) are NOT filtered out (I've tested it).

This is what my command line said.

Command: (sssetfirst nil (ssget "_x" '((0 . "VIEWPORT") (8 . "defpoints"))))
(nil <Selection set: 4f37>)
Command: ch
CHANGE 46 found
[color=red]45 were not in current space.
[/color]Specify change point or [Properties]: p
Enter property to change 
[Color/Elev/LAyer/LType/ltScale/LWeight/Thickness/TRansparency/Material/Annotati
ve]: la
Enter new layer name <Defpoints>: s-non-plot
Enter property to change 
[Color/Elev/LAyer/LType/ltScale/LWeight/Thickness/TRansparency/Material/Annotati
ve]:

This is what my command line said.

Qball,

If the suggestion(s) offered are ineffective when adding steps not listed in the OP, then we didn't have enough information to begin with.

Separately, use the code I posted again, and instead of issuing the CHANGE command, use the Properties Palette (Ctrl+1 if not already open), and with all 46 Viewports selected, change the layer from the Properties Palette... as this example shows:

Before:

CT_viewport.before.png

After:

CT_viewport.after.png

... All 46 Viewports WILL change layers as your command line output attempted to do.

*IF* your goal is to programmatically change the layer for each Viewport Entity throughout all tabs of a given Drawing, then you need to specify that, in addition to any other steps you want accomplished. I'd be happy to help, but I need complete information.

Hope this helps!

Yes, the properties palette worked. My apologies for not providing enough info.

Thanks!

No worries; I'm happy to help. :)

• 11 months later...

I recently stumbled upon your lisp routine and was wondering if it can be altered to select all instances of a specific block within the drawing?

Thanks!

Not sure what routine you were referring, but the code below will create a selection set with all block instances (presuming is not about a dynamic block):

(ssget "_X" '((0 . "INSERT") (2 . "NameOfBlock")))

My apologies. The lisp in question is:

(sssetfirst nil (ssget "_x" '((0 . "VIEWPORT") (8 . "<LayerName>"))))

and this request is indeed regarding a dynamic block. I'd like to be able to select all the dynamic blocks in the drawing and modify their visibility state.

Thanks again!

Edited by bwiley

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think I know enough about complex lisp routines to determine if I need all three lisp routines and what portions I should modify for my purposes.

The block in question is named "b-size status stamps".

Any additional assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can I select and change all the layers in multiple blocks without Editing the Blocks individually?

LAYERMERGE might be your friend with this one.

• 4 years later...

I'm also trying to select an object in paperspace across all layouts. But it looks like I'm missing something bc the code doesn't work at all for me. I tried directly copying and pasting MSasu's code from post #12 into the command line which didn't work. A little direction?

I'm also trying to select an object in paperspace across all layouts. But it looks like I'm missing something bc the code doesn't work at all for me. I tried directly copying and pasting MSasu's code from post #12 into the command line which didn't work. A little direction?

[color="red"](sssetfirst nil [/color](ssget "_X" '((0 . "INSERT") (2 . "NameOfBlock")))[color="red"])[/color]