Profile View Rotation/Alignment

traumathecat

Hi all. I'm working with Civil 3D 2011.

I rarely deal with profiles, but once in a while the need comes my way.

I'm profiling a curb along a street that runs something like n83°e. So, I've rotated my view (dview>twist) and my snapang -7° so that my street runs nicely along the x-axis. Now, I want to create a profile view for this street alignment. Whenever I create the profile view, instead of running along the x-y plane (in line with the centerline alignment) it is rotated and aligned with where the centerline would have been had I not twisted it.

I've also tried aligning the ucs to my centerline and then creating the profile view, but I still end up with it rotated.

I can't manually align the profile view to the alignment as the rotate and align commands don't seem to work on it.

Any ideas on how I go about setting this thing up? I'm certain I've done it in the past, but it's been long enough that I don't remember how.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Leave your project file(s) in World coordinates. If you want to rotate the view, do so by aligning the USC to the desired Object, then use the Plan command to orient the topographical view to 'current ucs'.

I model my masters (plan, profile, sections) in World, and align the sheets to the correct view via the viewports.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help. I've followed your instructions and I've set the drawing up that way. So, it ends up looking like this in model space:

PV.jpg

Would you just work on it like that? I can do that (and I might have to because I am running out of time), and then just rotate the profile in the viewports when I cut my sheets, but it seems like it is so much simpler if the profile actually lines up with the street for verifying crossings and whatnot. Maybe it's not an option :unsure:, but I thought I'd always set them up that way in the past.

In my limited experience, I've not had the profiles aligned with the corresponding alignments before.

Now, in model space, you can split your drawing area into two (or more) viewports... I use two stacked horizontally, where plan is in one profile / cross sections in the other as needed. Look under the View menu; there maybe a ribbon panel for this but I've not used it (yet).

HTH

Most likely I don't understand your issue. Can't you do everything in model space in World UCS and then adjust your viewports to the angles you want? That's how I do it, and, as RenderMan suggests, it's probably easier that way.

IIRC, there's a sheet set option for plan/profile sheets. If you're short on time, as you say, you may not have time to look into it for this project. Maybe next time.

In situations like this, I'll sometimes create two views. Then you can leave one view untwisted, and only twist the other one, as in the attached image.

SplitView.jpg