Working With Consultants Drawings for Xrefs

insight design

Hi,

We are a design firm and are always working with consultant drawings for xref base plans. Pretty much all the time we need to change their layer colors to match our ctb settings. This is really time consuming and has to be done every time we get an new xref (which kindof defets the purpose of having that xref to automatically update). Most Architectural files we get have a lot of layers too so changing each specail color to plot black and white and creating a new ctb is even more time consuming that changing their layer colors. Is there a fast way to convert the layers or how do most people do this I am curious.

Thanks

we experienced same problem. the best solution for that you should follow from the start their way, the LAYERS they used. If u dont follow their way and you make another way....meaning you used other than their LAYERS, you may always face same situation.

We, received more xref plan, what we did, we work on the XREF Files(Files to be loaded)then one by one, we combined all XREF files in one...then if there is new xref file coming again from consultant, were just editing the changes they made.

Hi,

.... we need to change their layer colors to match our ctb settings.

.... we get have a lot of layers too so changing each specail color to plot black and white and creating a new ctb is even more time consuming that changing their layer colors.

.... Is there a fast way to convert the layers or how do most people do this I am curious.

Do you want to change the colors to match yours, or do you just want all the xref layers to print one color?

If you actually want to change the plot color of theirs to match yours, you could use Viewport Overrides (VP Plot color), Layer Translator (LAYTRANS), or create as Standards File (DWS).

The problem I am having is if they use odd colors that don't match our ctb PDF's print with actual colors. Also their line weights sometimes appear too dark. I am open to having everything the same color but then the line weights of the base drawing wouldn't vary correct?

Have you actually been modifying the colors in their drawings, or are you modifying the xref'd layer color in your own drawing? If you're doing the latter, you shouldn't have to change anything when they send you an updated drawing unless they've added more layers.

If a single color for the xref is OK, then I'd say the easiest remedy is simply to go into the Layer Palette, select all the xref layers, and change the color of all of them at one time. (or VP Color). As long as the ctb is set to use the lineweight/linetype for that color, that should be all you have to do.

Demo --> http://www.screencast.com/t/yZ4oEQxCOhRa

This is usually not as simple as one would like it to be as the incoming files usually have new stuff added as the project advances. Not to mention that the people drawing them may not use "best practices" as they are drafting. You will have to check your results and probably have to modify your procedure for different file sources.

One way is to copy and paste any updates into the file that you are using as your XREF. I've run into some trouble with this option because of blocks being redefined. The file will retain the old definition.

Utilizing Layer Translator is my preferred method. Although any layers that should be set to NO Plot need to be done manually afterwards.

There is a one shot method that doesn't work well for me but it might for you. If VISRETAIN is set to 1, the colors will be set in the host drawings and won't change even if they change in the file being XREF'd. Simply save the incoming file over your XREF file and your done.

These methods work well in a perfect world. Unfortunately, we don't live in one. There is always some prep work to make any of these methods work. Things such as making sure colors and linetypes are all set to "By Layer" always need to be checked.

Thanks RobDraw. Yes it would be nice if we lived in a perfect world but it seems the files I am usually working with are never By Layer and then the blocks have colors as well. I will try this visretain and Layer Translator and see how it goes (just wish there was an easy way for this that I didn't know about). But all your suggestions are helpful.

Thanks again.

RobDraw that is a GREAT command! I just tired it on a drawing with blocks. Saves me so much time for going into individual blocks thanks a bunch!