Steel Shapes

Lemmesee

I know that AutoCad 2008 has a library of steel shapes in it that inserts a profile view as a polyline, but I cant remember where it is or how to use it. can someone refresh my memory

I already found that in the Tool Pallets, But I remember having a way to slect shapes from a menu. Thats what I am looking for.

I already found that in the Tool Pallets, But I remember having a way to slect shapes from a menu. Thats what I am looking for.

Have you tried clicking on that pretty, blue, down-pointing arrow that appears when you highlight the W shape? Actually all that will give you is different beam size options.

Are you looking for something that gives you the choice of angles, channels, W/M/S shapes, tube shapes etc.?

Free steel shapes here as provided by architect in the form of zip files (by shape).

http://www.autocadeverything.com/help/showthread.php/2691-%28AutoCAD-2002-or-Higher%29-Steel-shape-Blocks

Free Australian steel sections available here...

http://www.draftsperson.net/index.php?title=Draftsperson.net:Free_AutoCAD_Blocks

More steel sections available as this site for $29.95...

http://www.ccadinc.com/software.html

I dont see any "pretty,Blue,DownPointing Arrow".. And yes I want to have choices of all the Shapes and thier sizes. I used to do it before but i have forgot how I did it. It placed the selected shape as a polyline, not a dynamic block.

Sorry, can't help you then. Perhaps you had a lisp routine or a third-party add-on that gave you that feature set or you were using an AutoDesk vertical product with that capability.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that had to be a lisp or add-on. I don't think AutoCAD ever had a complete built in set of steel shapes, and definitely not steel shapes that were drawn as polylines rather than inserted as blocks.

I use Al's Steel Mill practically every day, and I highly recommend it.

Demo --> http://screencast.com/t/0sVGk7cnPc

Download --> http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/standard-blocks/steel-shapes-all-types-and-sizes

• 1 year later...

nestly,

Thank you for the tip. I have downloaded the steel shape autolisp and did everything per the help.txt, but I can not start the program.

current version - AutoCad 2011

- added the file path to the source files

- loaded the application via tools/load application and get the following message "Al's STEEL MILL Loaded. Type STL to use."

- when type STL nothing happens.

I don't have any experience with autolisp routines, so I was wondering if you can help me out with the program.

Thank you in advance.

I have it working in 2013. Just installed it.

You can load it but it does not run? Is this what you saw on your command line?

Command: appload

Stl.lsp successfully loaded.

Is STL used as a keyboard shortcut for something else? Check your acad.pgp file.

What is the path to the folder that contains the files?

SteelMill.PNG

Make sure the "Steel Mill" folder is listed in the support path, not just the folder where the Steel Mill folder resides. If still not working, open Windows Explorer and drag stl.lsp from the Steel Mill folder directly onto AutoCAD's drawing area, then see if STL will launch it. I vaguely recall having to load something (VBA enabler or something) on one of my computers to get Steel Mill to run, if you can't get it going, I'll try to dig that fix up.

Yes, it is installed, but it doesn't run.

Just go it to work. I was linking to the parent folder, instead to the subfolder that retains the lsp file.

edit:

was typing my reply and didn't see that nestly suggested the same. Thank you to both.

• 1 year later...

I have been scouring the program and journals I learned from in college, yet still cannot find how I used to do it.

There was a library of some sort in which you could Imperial or Metric, pipe or structural, wood or steel, and then a listing of standard sizes would present for you to choose from.

It showed many other characteristics as well.

E.g., it would show the actual dimensions of finished lumber (a 2x4 finished was actually only 3.5 inches wide).

You could choose from many different I-beam profiles, pipe schedules, pipe diameters, wall thicknesses, rough or finished lumber, etc.

Or, you could customize the profile ...

It was part of the installed program. It did not need to be downloaded or imported.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?