Pole Barn Construction

Guest Remark_

• 2 weeks later...
ReMark,

Thanks for the link.

Are you a student, retired, or unemployed.

I'm new here, but I notice you have time to try to help a lot of people. If you are on the clock, your boss isn't giving you enough to do.:)

And you're who to judge?

You're falling into the thread of Annoying Coworkers...the ones I listed that think they're above the others. Pay attention to yourself, not what other people do with their time.

Are you a student, retired or unemployed? Why are you tracking the amount of time I spend on here? Are you stalking me? Now, that would be really weird. Cue theme from The Twilight Zone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Depending on the overall dimensions and structural loading your barn may require steel posts with saddles. You could go with helicoil footers and wood posts with Simpson mounting hardware depending on the structural criteria.

Our company built a pole barn for Army Strykers a few years (that thing was huge!). We ended up having to go with 1/4" steel columns, really big steel saddles and some immense gluelams. We had to install footers for each post that you would normally see on something like an office building.

I drew the entire structure in 3D. Did separate 3d models for the thru-bolts, the siding system along the exterior of the posts, etc.. I can't post that here though for a variety of reasons but there are a wide variety of ways to do the same thing.

I would come up with something and let an engineer look it over just depending on the scale of what you have in mind. If you're going with 12" helicoil footers and 4x4 posts I would just do the drawings and let the city planner/engineer review it when you turn it in for approval (just depending on what state/city you live in). Usually, if the system isn't too complex they will give their stamp of approval.

-ChriS