depression / extruded cut that doesnt go all the way through a curved feature???

rhader

hey guys.

Im trying to put an 'inset' / depressed / rib like depression into a curved surface that only goes half an inch or so... and I cant get it to work...

I have made the sketch on a plane that is facing the surved surface and then I am using the 'extruded cut' feature and I am trying to select the reference off of the 'surface / face / plane' selection... and then use a distance... theoretically that makes sense to me...

can someone tell me what I am doing wrong??

cheers.

I managed to get it to work just using the 'extruded cut' feature but im not sure if there is any better way?

I tried uploading the file but it is apparently too large... unless there is a way to upload larger files? its about 5MGs.

I have attached an image of the door.

cargo door solid works.jpg

there are a few ways you can do this. When using extrude there is a start condition where you can select your surface. Instead of Blind for the end condition you can select surface or offset from surface. There are also things like the Indent feature that will allow you to use a solid part and "push" it into another solid part. What do you want the cross section of this to look like? Is it solid?

it is a door for an aircraft and basically nothing is solid... everything is panels or aluminium sheets.

for this particular purpose a solid would work. but I was hoping to be able to make this a realistic and reliable model.

it is a door for an aircraft and basically nothing is solid... everything is panels or aluminium sheets.

for this particular purpose a solid would work. but I was hoping to be able to make this a realistic and reliable model.

Aircraft doors are solid bodies? Aluminum panels or sheets are solid bodies?

To reduce file size roll up the feature tree such that all features are dissappear from the graphics window, save in a rolled up state (not possible in earlier versions of SWx) and zip to attach here.

sure if you look at a sheet being a solid body than the door is made of many solid bodies...

for instance I am trying another 'indent' here and it is being difficult... I would like to protrude this sketch as indents and it for some reason will not allow it...

cargo door solid works 2.jpg

in this specific case its because the profile on the right hand side goes past the face you are selected on the side and all of them extend past the face on the bottom. The blue sketch lines need to be inside the face selection(single face). There is a way around that by creating a Zero offset surface of multiple faces. Then your selection can be the surface which will be all faces. You can do this probably a dozen different ways. Split faces, thicken cuts, indents, extrude cuts and so on.

In the screen shot below I used Extrude-Cut. Notice the Direction1 box is "Offset From Surface". In this case my From box was "Surface" but that wasnt needed.

There is also a dialog box that says "translate surface". If you offset a surface you are basically moving it. If you translate a surface you are extending it out normal to the surface. This makes sense when you start dealing with complex surfaces. The nice thing about doing this with extrude-cut is that you can apply draft. Since you are modeling airplane interiors everything will be molded and you will need to be aware of the pull direction/draft requirements.

extrudeCutOffset.jpg

it is the angle of the image that makes it appear like it is over hanging the edge. it isnt actually over-hanging the edge but it IS on the edge... I was trying to indent to the outer edges...

I decreased the area to a 0.5" perimeter and that has allowed it to indent... however is there an appropriate way that will allow it to indent to teh outer edges?

how can I cut from one selection of the body through another?

this a part not done as an assembly.

there is an overlapping edge onto a countoured face (it is not a planar face)...

I am attempting the lofted cut but itg doesntg seem to want to allow it??

2011-08-12_162833.jpg

rhader, im having some internet trouble at the moment and cant get on a computer with SW but the "split" command (insert>features>split) will allow you to use faces to trim solids. Its hard to tell from the pic but it may work in this case.

• 1 month later...