3D Solid Won't Slice or Respect Boolean Operatons

3D generator

I'm modeling a fireplace in AutoCAD 2012 that has 2 solids that won't slice or work with boolean operations.

I'm trying to subtract the joints out of the header and legs of the fireplace to create seperate pieces but it won't do it. Slicing the solid at the joints doesn't work either.

The 3d model is too big to upload. Please contact me at mloomis@mstoneandtile.com if you'd like to receive the file (1.2 meg) for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks.

Fireplace Screen Capture.jpg

I figured out what the problem was with this fireplace. I had a helical volute that I unioned to the leg of the fireplace that caused the entire model to become corrupted.

I went back to the original helical volute that I created in another file and extracted the edges from it. I then pasted these edges into a new file and lofted surfaces between them. I capped the end of it with the patch command and then used sculpt to turn it into a solid. The end result was the same shape without the helical geometry baggage.

Lesson learned: always check a helical solid using the solidedit check option before using the geometry in a model. Had I done so, I could have avoided this problem. I’ve used helical geometry on spiral column shafts with no issues but this volute was weird enough to create a corrupted solid body.

Fireplace 663 Screen Capture.pdf

Fireplace 663 Volute Screen Capture.pdf

:)Congratulations to you have solved the problem, thank you to share lessons learned.

I thought this drawing includes custom objects which are created by an unavailable application objectDBX.

those tools, solid check and clean, i can never get them to do anything.

anyone else have this problem?

i click on the solid with a weird line on it, and nothing happens, it just asks me if i want to check it again

I think that part of the problem may be the underlying geometry used to create your objects. Explode each entity and clean things up then try again.

The CLEAN command works on geometry added to a solid with the IMPRINT command only.

The CHECK option of the SOLIDEDIT command won't fix corrupt geometry but it will confirm good geometry by saying it is a valid solid.

As far as the weird lines go, these artifacts sometimes show up on solids even if it's good geometry. Boolean operations seem to add them sometimes. The FLATSHOT command usually ignores these artifacts but not always. Some artifacts occur at the point of tangency between curves and are just part of the program. I wish they could be turned off but I haven't come across how to do that yet. Fortunately, the FLATSHOT command almost always removes them.

I think that part of the problem may be the underlying geometry used to create your objects. Explode each entity and clean things up then try again.

ahh, yep i get you now (in reference to the other thread)