Export to Collada?

JNieman

In case you didn't know, Solidworks Labs released an add-in to allow the exportation of files to the .dae/Collada format. From what I understand it's a wide-open XML based format for open communication of 3D files with better support for materials (or at least color..) and other info that often gets left behind in some file conversions. Link here: http://labs.solidworks.com/Products/Product.aspx?name=colladaexport

However, I am having trouble exporting my assembly. I'm not even trying to export animation information - just the assembly model. I wish to import into Blender, and I'm having bad luck with the VRML format I initially attempted.

Has anyone had much experience with the addin yet? I can't find much of any troubleshooting or tester posts anywhere. Could use some help here. :\

Solidworks runs into a fatal error, crashes, and cannot continue. My computer has 16gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 7, with am i7 2600 3.4ghz processor. Hardware should not be the ceiling here with such specs, it shouldn't be running out of memory I would think.

I'm working on intellectual-property of a sensitive nature, otherwise I'd upload the model. I just downloaded SW's sample assemblies to see if I can replicate the problem with less sensitive assemblies to isolate whether it's my model or the software or machine I'm running. Will report.

So I got it to work. (I'm pretty awesome.) One little check box that didn't seem logical to check... needed checking. (Ok, so I wasn't so awesome in this instance) I'll post a screen cap when I get back to the shop tomorrow, for explanation.

I'm still curious to get any general input and feelings on people's experience with the Collada file type, hopefully specific to Solidworks exportation.

Settings used:

Overlooked.png

Like I said, not the most brilliant moment... Just needed to toggle a checkbox. It seemed illogical at the time. Other, smaller, models (of my own, and of SW samples) exported fine without checking that box. The only difference I can infer between models is the animation/motors/motion studies that I've created with the one I had issues with. I was only trying to export the model, not the motion study, so assumed the process was the same.

Oh well, it worked in the end.

• 5 months later...
...Solidworks Labs released an add-in to allow the exportation of files to the .dae/Collada format. [...] Link here: http://labs.solidworks.com/Products/Product.aspx?name=colladaexport

Do you still have the zip-file? I need the Collada AddIn but can't download it, because labs.solidworks.com are not available. Can you please send the zip-file to me? Or I can arrange a folder on dropbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm also looking for the Collada AddIn which is not available at the moment.

If one of you can send it by mail\wetransfer\dropbox it would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys,

I know it's been a while since this thread was active. Was wondering if anyone still had an active download link or dropbox link for the add-in.