Drop Down Layer Menu will not work!

momdrafting

drop down.jpgI need some advice, help! We are running AutoCAD versions 10, 11 and 12 in this office. This week two of the machines started having no drop down on their layer toolbar. When you open layer manager the layers are all there, but the drop down shows just the one. attached is a screen shot(I hope, lol)

Cindy

What are the specs for the computers? Do you run any Registry Cleaners? I am guessing a Graphics Card driver or Registry issue. What happened this week? Do you have a restore point? What versions are being run on the two with the problem?

I gotta throw out the standard help desk question...How long has it been since you rebooted? Absolutely amazing how much stuff that will fix.

tried rebooting. nothing changed. we are using xrefs. when we reconcile the layers, it happens. before we do that, the drop down works.

graphics card drivers are up to date and have not been updated recently. Have used the registry cleaners, yes. One is running xp with AutoCAD r10. The other is running Windows 7 with AutoCAD R11.

drop down.jpg

The drop down box will not drop down! Shows just one layer. You can open up layer manager and they are all there. This happens after we reconcile layers coming in with an xref. Any ideas?

One is running xp with AutoCAD r10. The other is running Windows 7 with AutoCAD R11.

I think you mean AutoCAD 2010 and AutoCAD 2011, as R10 and R11 were released in 1988 and 1990 respectively.

If you have opened the Layer Manager, and filtered your layers there of some kind, then the drop down menu only shows those layers after the sort - its the most common reason I see this with my co-workers acads.

I have merged your threads.

I still would like to know your Graphics card and driver being used. I think you need to go back to a restore point to before you cleaned the registry.

I also noticed you are running AutoCAD Architecture, does this happen in plain AutoCAD also?

• 1 month later...

I was having the exact same problem as momdrafting, my drop-down was missing and I am using the ribbon menu in Arch 2011. I have rebooted, cleaned, updated drivers, etc., no change. I only noticed the problem after downloading an AutoCAD Product Update a few days ago, but I'm not 100% confident the two are related. I opened up an older version of the same file and my drop-down menu is back in action. So, after my computer failed and AutoDesk installed a new update, after re-opening the current file, seeing the drop-down was still missing, then going into the Layer Properties manager and selecting "All," the menus reappeared.

I would say the problem is "fixed," except now I cannot go back and reproduce the problem to see if it is a software error or user error. Comments?

• 3 months later...

i ran into this issue. when i opened the layer properties pallete, clicked on All, to show all layers and then back on what was the current filter of "All Used Layers", my drop down then showed all layers. Apparently it thought there was a filter in place and this action reset what it needed to show in the drop down which was all layers.

Hope this helps someone with this issue.

Joel