how do you hinge something?

rhader

how would I go about making something revolve around an axis? or a line?

like a door for instance...

this is the aircraft Cargo Door I have sketched out... just want to make some images from it and dont want to have to skew it out of position every time I take a different angle of it open or closed....

If you have it properly mated you should be able to simply drag along remaining DOF or change an angle relation for various positions.

Are we talking sldprt or sldasm environment?

Can you attach the assembly here?

Edited by JD Mather

I guess I was referring to the 'hinge' constraint... I cant seem to get it to function ofr me or even apply..

I can constrain the assembly to have only one direction of movement and i can drag ita orund which is sufficient for my purposes but I would like to be able to give it constraints for opening and closing etc...

In this case I believe solution would be to make configuratios. one with closed doors and other with open.

I have seen hinge constrint only in SW simulation. Haven't seen it anywhere else though.

it woul dbe nice to be able to make a video of the door opening and closing... I will be adding an actualy hinge assembly o it that would be nice to show the movemenmt of it....

any thoughts?

http://www.mymlcservices.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=306&video_id=283

here is a video i made on how to use the hinge constraint. basically it adds a coincident and concentric mate and allows you to put angle stops. Typically something like this aircraft door would be stopped by some sort of linkage. Are you going to model the entire hinge mechanism?

awesome video! thx.

yes thats the plan... we are designing the hinge mechanism basically so it would be nice to model the movement of the actual mechanism as well...