Civil Drafting Project

progman

Hello all,

Yes, I am also studying the Penn Foster program and have a question about the interpolation of the data points. I have already set up my grid and figured out how to calculate the points, but what I am confused on is the actual laying down of the data. For example, the study guide gives an example based on row 1 first data points, of 88.9 and 93.8 and to use these values for the 90 foot contour line. Using their example, the next set of spot elevations were 92.2 and 113.3, so would I use 100' or 110' foot for the next contour line? I guess what I am asking is how does one determine what the next contour line value should be? If the elevation changes quickly, can we skip, say 100' contour and go straight to the 110' contour?

I know, my question is clear as mud.....lol

Thanks all

contours between 92.2 and 113.3 are both 100 AND 110. If you have spots between 2.1 and 42.2 then your contour lines are 10, 20 30 and 40. Is that what you were asking? I have just completed plate 1 and am busy with plate 2. If the spots are at 32.1 and next is at 31.1 then there is no contours between them. If you search Penn Foster through this site then you will find that there are posts prior to you asking along with diagrams showing how the contours end up. That helped me tremendously.

contours between 92.2 and 113.3 are both 100 AND 110. If you have spots between 2.1 and 42.2 then your contour lines are 10, 20 30 and 40. Is that what you were asking? I have just completed plate 1 and am busy with plate 2. If the spots are at 32.1 and next is at 31.1 then there is no contours between them. If you search Penn Foster through this site then you will find that there are posts prior to you asking along with diagrams showing how the contours end up. That helped me tremendously.

In plate 1, the grid is basically spot elevations taken at 50' by 50' intervals, so each square on the grid is 50 x 50. So, the first spot elevation was measured at 92.2' of elevation. 50' to the right of this spot the new elevation is now listed as 113.3'. So, if I were to draw a contour line, would the contour line be labeled as 100 foot contour, or 110' foot contour, seeing as the elevation changed from 92.2' to 113.3' in fifty feet. All I was asking is, seeing as the project book never stipulates as to how to label the contours, would it matter if I chosed 100 or 110' for the label? How would on choose the best contour line value?

Thanks!