Dimensioning a circle in isometric view

Tony D

I am having a problem filleting two circles. the drawing was done using 2D polyline per instructions from worldclass.com wesite. I have attached a copy of the drawing, and the drawing has two red arrows pointing to the circles in question. The radius of the fillet is supposed to be .5".

Solids Challenge OneA.jpg

Tony

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony D

• Jack_O'neill

• SLW210

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not do that as 3D rather than fool with wireframe?

I once took an idiot exam that required that I do something like this as wireframe.

I simply did as 3D and exploded to 2D wireframe.

Increased my income by several thousand dollars by passing the "competency" exam.

The proctor never new the difference.

I am having a problem filleting two circles. the drawing was done using 2D polyline per instructions from worldclass.com wesite. I have attached a copy of the drawing, and the drawing has two red arrows pointing to the circles in question. The radius of the fillet is supposed to be .5".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29633[/ATTACH]

Tony

Something doesn't look quite right. Are you trying to fillet between the 2 circles? If so, why? This appears to be some sort of housing with a bushing pressed into it. You have 3 concentric circles, so I presume the small one in the center is a hole, the next one is the outer edge of the part with the hole in it, and the outer most circle is the edge of the housing. See the illustration below.

tony.PNG

Or are you trying to fillet the edges like this?

tony2.PNGpencil.png

scan0001.pdfTo Jack_O'neill,

Something doesn't look quite right. Are you trying to fillet between the 2 circles? If so' date=' why?[/quote']

See the attached copy of the drawing (note where the two red arrows are pointing to), it may help you to know what I am trying to convey, below:

Solids Challenge One B.jpg

Tony

Hub Plate A.jpg

Edited by Tony D
A sentence was not worded correctly

To: JD Mather,

Why not do that as 3D rather than fool with wireframe?

To answer your question the Instructor wants us to do the drawing using polylines. He has never mentioned anything about doing the drawing in 3D. Is it much more simpler to do it in 3D?

Tony

Ah, I see. That makes more sense. You should have mentioned that you were trying to draw a weld. In the images below, you'll see solid models, a wire frame view and a hidden view. I gave you the front, back and a cross section. On the back view, I pulled the round part up half way in the plate to have something to fillet to. If it needs to be flush, we'll have to do some more work with the shape of the inserted piece, but I think you can probably figure that out. If not, give a yell.

tony3.jpg

tony4.jpg

tony5.jpg

To answer your question the Instructor wants us to do the drawing using polylines. He has never mentioned anything about doing the drawing in 3D. Is it much more simpler to do it in 3D?

Tony

Not that I would speak for JD, but absofrackinlutely! The images you see in my previous post took about 5 minutes to create.

Ah yes, that makes much more sense. If I may, you have a small error in your drawing according to this. Notice the small hole in the center? You have it drawn as coming all the way to the end of the large round bit. It actually only penetrates the square plate. That's why you were having such a hard time figuring out what to do and it threw my drawing off as well. The red bit in those last images is not there. What want it to look like is this:

tony6.jpg

Your instructor is making you do this the hard way huh? Even the page you uploaded says something about using this "solid". I wonder why he's going to such lengths.

The 1/2" Fillet (the T is pronounced) weld should be done with chamfer not a fillet.

I looked closer and see that chamfer is called out for all of the holes as well.

What course/school is this? I will move this to the Student Project Questions sub-forum.

The 1/2" Fillet (the T is pronounced) weld should be done with chamfer not a fillet.

I looked closer and see that chamfer is called out for all of the holes as well..

Per practice problem drawing "The Hub Plate" there is a note stating: 1/2 Fillet Weld with an arrow pointing to the weld. That's odd that the weld calls for a fillet whereas, the four holes at each corner calls for a chamfer.

What course/school is this? I will move this to the Student Project Questions sub-forum.

It is an online course offered by worldclasscad.com.

A FILLET WELD and the radiusing of a corner (FILLET) have nothing in common except the word "fillet" pronounced two different ways. If a placed a fish on the sink and told you to fillet the fish would you weld it, round its corners or take a knife to it.

You can see from the attached PDF that the weld is a chamfer not a fillet as it is a straight line and not a curve like a fillet would produce and has been shown.

And yeah it is much simpler doing it in 3D mate. :)

I looked closer and see that chamfer is called out for all of the holes as well.

Ok, so I drew the fillet with a fillet instead of chamfer...sue me :cry:.

:rofl:

Ok' date=' so I drew the fillet with a fillet instead of chamfer...sue me :cry:.

:rofl:[/quote']

My lawyer needs your mailing address. :rtfm:

I visited this thread 3 times before I noticed. 8)

To answer your question the Instructor wants us to do the drawing using polylines.

The instructor needs to go back to school - he/she is teaching you obsolete 20yr old techniques.

And the drawing is incorrect - the crosshatch should be going in different directions and missing lines (two parts welded together).

If I get a chance I will post an image of a solution using a modern MCAD software (Autodesk Inventor).

Students can download next-generation CAD tools like Inventor for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

The instructor needs to go back to school - he/she is teaching you obsolete 20yr old techniques.

And the drawing is incorrect - the crosshatch should be going in different directions and missing lines (two parts welded together).

That ain't all that wrong with it. Look how out of scale the mount holes are. Text says 3/16"...they are drawn closer to 3/8" looks like to me.

I can't find anywhere in autocad help about dimension a circle in isometric (clicked on ellipse icon on the draw section of the home panel) view. Is there any way you can dimension a circle in isometric view?

Tony