Replacing text in Autocad File using excel data?

rythem_of_the_nig

I have an autocad drawing with so many light fixtures with all different names.Now we have to change all those names, i already have an excel sheet containing two columns with first one containing "name in drawing" and second one containing respective "new name".

Is there any way to replace the names in cad file using that excel sheet.i just dont want to do all those thousand rename manually :( ...please some cad-guru help me :(

Hello!

If you already have an excel file for that, just open the excel file highlight it and copy and then paste it in autocad and if there is another changes again, try to double click the one that you paste in autocad and automatically it will bring you to excel

Hello!

If you already have an excel file for that, just open the excel file highlight it and copy and then paste it in autocad and if there is another changes again, try to double click the one that you paste in autocad and automatically it will bring you to excel

I'm not sure that would help the OP too much currently though assuming the original names wern't linked to the Excel spreadsheet?

Theres a post here about using FIND via lisp you could write a txt file from excel then just read it line by line to do all the work

Basicly you need a lisp that finds a piece of text and changes it check out LEE-MAC.com he has a good text find and replace may do what you want.

• 8 months later...

I also having the same problem. Ive tried too look every thread, but it seems I can't find it. Can anyone give me the thread number or link?

It is not a simple copying of excel table but using the data inside the table or the getting the value of the cell , and using these values to represent as text in autocad.

Welcome to the forum. :)

When you find yourself looking for smart solutions, try http://www.lee-mac.com/index.html

where there is a very good chance you may find a tool to help you, as have so many before you.

Thanks Lee! :beer:

Barring finding what you need there, there are plenty of OTHER very knowledgeable and helpful folks (the lisperati) on the forum,

who are always looking for somebody to help with a bit of code, and to show off their chops. :)

Thanks guys (you know who you are)! :beer:

• 2 years later...

Hello everybody, I'd really to find a solution to this too. It seems there's quite a bit of us looking to automate the Find/Replace function between Excel & CAD.. I have a certain grueling task of taking Chinese translations and replacing the English in the CAD files! I have a dictionary's worth of translations in an Excel file; left column English, right in Chinese. I want to basically run a process that would Find & Replace all the text in the cad file with the Chinese. To make it more efficient, I'd like to be able to add to the list in excel as I come along new translations, and alter them if they need adjustment.. Unfortunately, I'm no lisperati, and sometimes the text is within a block, within a block, within a block.. if you know what I mean.. and this is where my head starts hurting to make this automated.. I could Really Really Really use some help. :roll: