Understanding Scaling in Autocad - seems arbitrary?

ottocad

I am very new to Autocad. Last time I used it was around 1996 and it is a whole new beast today. I am using Autocad 2012 at the moment.

I need to submit a metric drawing for a proposed borehole amongst utilities that I have been forwarded in .dwg format. The scale needs to be 1:250. I have copied and pasted the utilities information into a new drawing, where I've added my borehole with dimensions, company title block, and some additional notation.

In a system where scaling seems to be varied by zooming, plotting, and drawing - how do I achieve 1:250 scale for submission of this plan?

Thanks! Any clarification needed please don't hesitate to ask. I need help!!

Forum Sample Proposed Borehole DWG 2806-1.dwg

If you are planning to print from Paper Space, you can set the scale in the model view of it. Or if you print from model space, you can set the scale in the Plot settings. If you don't see your scale, feel free to type it in.

I have submitted this drawing already, and it was rejected because it 'wasn't to scale'. It seems that if the scale can be set upon plotting that the professionals receiving my drawing wouldn't have a problem with it.

When I try to plot at a scale of 1:250 (to a regular letter-sized printer) I get a blank sheet, after the plot dialogue warns me that the annotation scale does not match the plot scale....

I have submitted this drawing already, and it was rejected because it 'wasn't to scale'. It seems that if the scale can be set upon plotting that the professionals receiving my drawing wouldn't have a problem with it.

When I try to plot at a scale of 1:250 (to a regular letter-sized printer) I get a blank sheet, after the plot dialogue warns me that the annotation scale does not match the plot scale....

When I print it out as 1:250 (assumed drawn to scale), the drawing is like the size of a half dollar on a piece of paper. The annotation scale is explained here:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ff1bb1a0510dab2fb04a-7f64.htm,topicNumber=d0e109710

After playing around with it, it appears the drawing is drawn as 1 unit equals 1 foot. Traditionally 1 unit equals 1 inch in imperial. So that would explain your scale being thrown off for printing. Scale up the drawing by 12 or print the drawing at 1:20.8333. Which means the whole drawing won't fit on letter size paper.

See PDF's

20.833 scale.pdf

scale by 12-print 1to250.pdf

The way to best accomplish the task is to draw everything in model at FULL size no matter if it is a hex head bolt or a three meter long drill casing. Then make use of paper space layouts and viewports. Viewports are assigned a scale and multiple viewports in a layout can each have a different scale if required. Your annotation (text and dimensions) can be added to your model space objects utilizing annotative scaling or they can go directly into your layout and sized normally. This concept is explained in further detail in numerous threads/posts, in your AutoCAD User's guide and at various AutoCAD help sites in tutorials and videos.

The way to best accomplish the task is to draw everything in model at FULL size no matter if it is a hex head bolt or a three meter long drill casing. Then make use of paper space layouts and viewports. Viewports are assigned a scale and multiple viewports in a layout can each have a different scale if required. Your annotation (text and dimensions) can be added to your model space objects utilizing annotative scaling or they can go directly into your layout and sized normally. This concept is explained in further detail in numerous threads/posts, in your AutoCAD User's guide and at various AutoCAD help sites in tutorials and videos.

Something tells me he received the file from surveyors. From what I've seen, those drawings usually come out assuming 1 unit = 1 foot when they are shot out as a raw file from their surveying equipment. At least that's been my limited experience with them.

Go to paperspace and draw the sheet of paper that you are going to plot on at 1:1 eg A4 297x210 A3 420X297 then using mview create a box inside this rectang about 15mm each side jump into the box and zoom e if you have drawn the plan as metric 1 unit = 1m then its easy to get 1;250 make sure the viewports toolbar is on .

When you jump into the box a number will appear in the viewports right hand side just type 4 and enter this is 1:250 or use the pull downs to select 1:250 if you look at the number when z e it wil give you and idea of what scale will fit 1:250 =4 is 1000/250 2 = 1:500 10 = 1:100

Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

Might be , this xls helps you ! have Look At [ATTACH]THIS[/ATTACH]

I am very new to Autocad. Last time I used it was around 1996 and it is a whole new beast today. I am using Autocad 2012 at the moment.

I need to submit a metric drawing for a proposed borehole amongst utilities that I have been forwarded in .dwg format. The scale needs to be 1:250. I have copied and pasted the utilities information into a new drawing, where I've added my borehole with dimensions, company title block, and some additional notation.

In a system where scaling seems to be varied by zooming, plotting, and drawing - how do I achieve 1:250 scale for submission of this plan?

Thanks! Any clarification needed please don't hesitate to ask. I need help!!

[ATTACH]29717[/ATTACH]

Copy of Some Cheat Code At Work.xlsx

It sounds as though you are confusing annotation scale with the plotting or viewport scale. Setting the annotation scale will not set the scale at which your drawing will plot. For the time being, ignore annotation scale entirely and set the viewport scale correctly. And make certain your drawing units are set decimal and that you're drawing in the model full size, 1:1.